Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Re: Kindle?

I've just returned from holiday and took my Kindle with me. Saves so much weight and space in luggage as I normally take loads of books. I love it! You can take a whole library of stuff away with you and it's rather nice to flick through wondering what to read next.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2011, 10:24 PM

My experience exactly in hospital ... loaded lots of books, and fun to decide which to read next. A very handy invention.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2011, 01:55 AM

Dont any of you miss the wonderful smell of a new book or the feel of turning a real page at the point of a cliffhanger? lol Its what puts me off a Kindle.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2011, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Dont any of you miss the wonderful smell of a new book or the feel of turning a real page at the point of a cliffhanger? lol Its what puts me off a Kindle.
I've heard that description about the love of reading books many times. It last only seconds on a Kindle because I can carry a library with me and read one page, one chapter, or half a book at a time using just one hand with no eye strain. I keep my Kindle close to my bedside or in my jacket pocket. It has no weight and a charged Kindle will allow you to read for a month without recharging. I carry a number of bible translations, photographic reference books, hiking guides and technical manuals all at the same time. If I'm traveling I have it all with me at any point I need it. The cost difference is huge. There are over 250,000 free books, newspapers and magazines available for the Kindle. Any book, newspaper or magazine is at my fingertips when I need it. I really don't know how I existed before getting mine. It pays for itself in a month or two.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2011, 02:30 AM

Bob's described the situation very well ... lasts only seconds is correct as you almost instantly get caught up in the story and page-turning is just a quick thumb pressure. Mine's strictly recreational - fiction - but it's possible to have all sorts of reference works instantly available if you want that sort of thing.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Cassie, I bought a Kindle for my Wife at Christmas. I had your thought's and included in my purchase a leather kindle holder, which smell's very nice. The holder also add's a bit to the thickness and you hold it similar to a book but not as heavy in the hand as an actual book.

Adrian
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

06-04-2011, 12:49 PM

I know what you mean Cassie , but I dont buy books for how they smell but for their contents and - like everyone else here has said - find the Kindle to be perfect for my needs , and btw , you can " turn the page at the point of a cliffhanger "
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Perhaps I wrote that without explaining myself properly lol Im not for one minute thinking I wouldnt want one as I do! And I understand perfectly the benefits and advantages! I dont but books for the smell either but I dooooo sooooo love the smell of a new book and the whole book process. I get the page turning thing too but its still an electronic operation and not a book with real pages and a real bookmark! In the same way as we're all 'friends' yet we're not in the traditional way. Perhaps thats the word im grappling about for... Traditional... just wondered if the real book experience ws missed by anyone and seeing the shelves full of lovely books and mmmm sorry that smell!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

06-04-2011, 10:52 PM

It's not the same as traditional, never can be. I don't miss the real book experience that much: as to the smell, having been a lifelong heavy smoker didn't have a really good sense of smell; and the speed of getting a new book. Say it's late Saturday and I read a review of an author I like's new book. Have to check if it's in the library, put a hold on it and go pick it up when available. True, that's free. But with the Kindle, I just click Buy and have it in less than 2 minutes. And have saved a tree.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2011, 04:45 PM

I do sort of miss the feel of the book, and still sometimes think when I am "turning" a page I have to get my left thumb out of the way. But I'll still buy books sometimes. It's just that you can carry so many books on a Kindle and for travelling that is a real pleasure.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top