Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 06:56 PM

Re: Dash Board Camera

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm please to say that my dashcam features both GPS mapping and a shock sensor, in addition to recording my speed.

Just my personal preference, of course.
You pays yer money and takes yer chance. None of those features are necessary but if they may you feel happy why not?!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Or you could have a front and rear cameras that has wifi so you can view the footage instantly ( mine does this)
Again, a gimmick, and perhaps nice, but Wifi means the unit needs Wifi components making the entire unit much bigger, and of course Wifi drains batteries quickly, less of a problem if it is only used in the car wired in.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Again, a gimmick, and perhaps nice, but Wifi means the unit needs Wifi components making the entire unit much bigger, and of course Wifi drains batteries quickly, less of a problem if it is only used in the car wired in.
Yes its handy having WiFi, it means I can view footage instantly and adjust settings if need be, as for size, its really no bigger than other cams, and as its wired into the cars electrics it won't drain the battery, as the camera will cut off after a preset voltage is reached, it will also record in parking mode, when the engine is off and the car is parked up, I guess its what you want from a camera that will influence your purchase of one, I chose mine as it suited my needs
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 10:07 PM

I roadtested my dashcam this afternoon, in preparation for a long drive tomorrow (ok about an hour!). Now the windscreen attachment is on I can't get it off, so have to pull out the 'ball' after unscrewing the screwy bit holding it.

Anyway, I read through the manual and then tried various positions on the windscreen, then decided on a spot on my side, low down. Took the car for a drive round the corner, reversed, and came home, then watched the footage on the computer. Audio isn't loud or clear, but that could be the PC's speakers, so will try on another one.

However, the video quality is excellent, and it records your speed. I wasn't going fast, as our road has a 20 mph limit, but ooooh, felt a bit queasy watching it.

Should I feel like splashing out more money in the future, I may get the wiring fitted inside the panels.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 10:23 PM

I was thinking of fitting them in my vans, car and bike.
The lads at work welcomed the idea until they realised I could see what speeds they'd done during the day
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I roadtested my dashcam this afternoon, in preparation for a long drive tomorrow (ok about an hour!). Now the windscreen attachment is on I can't get it off, so have to pull out the 'ball' after unscrewing the screwy bit holding it.

Anyway, I read through the manual and then tried various positions on the windscreen, then decided on a spot on my side, low down. Took the car for a drive round the corner, reversed, and came home, then watched the footage on the computer. Audio isn't loud or clear, but that could be the PC's speakers, so will try on another one.

However, the video quality is excellent, and it records your speed. I wasn't going fast, as our road has a 20 mph limit, but ooooh, felt a bit queasy watching it.

Should I feel like splashing out more money in the future, I may get the wiring fitted inside the panels.
Sounds good and, of course, they are very reassuring in case of events where you need to prove your innocence.

Does yours have GPS?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 08:37 AM

Sounds good and, of course, they are very reassuring in case of events where you need to prove your innocence.

Does yours have GPS?
Yes it does. I saw it acquiring the signal and it shows the icon on the screen when locked. I have the Nextbase 402G.

And apparently, when you download the software onto the PC and show back the footage, provided you are on the internet, it then shows up on the map.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Yes it does. I saw it acquiring the signal and it shows the icon on the screen when locked. I have the Nextbase 402G.

And apparently, when you download the software onto the PC and show back the footage, provided you are on the internet, it then shows up on the map.
Ah yes. According to Which? magazine, Nextbase are one of the best brands.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-10-2016, 01:36 PM

Ah yes. According to Which? magazine, Nextbase are one of the best brands.
Ah but they would. Highly un-impartial consumer advice imo.

The Nextbase dashcams are comparatively large imo. Like having to carry around a normal digital camera everywhere with you. Not for me. I need something that is tiny, inconspicuous and which can preferably be installed behind a small hole in the mirror housing. If it can't be discretely installed permanently, then it needs to be pocket sized so I can carry it around when I leave the car.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 03:42 PM

I'd point the Dashcam at myself, seeing the footage played back may help with my anger management issues.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top