Join for free
Page 153 of 1676 « First < 53 103 143 151 152 153 154 155 163 203 253 653 1153 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 10:38 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Numbers sometimes speak louder than words.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Did Nero really play a fiddle, surely it was some type of harp, “Nero harped while Rome burned” fiddles weren’t invented back then, so why do they keep harping on about a fiddle?

Don’t mind me I’m in a questioning mood today.

“In my Fathers house there are many mansions” How many times have we heard that from clergymen over the years, heard it again from the Vicar on an old episode of Steptoe today. Surely it’s a wrong thing to say, to my mind a mansion is a very big elaborate house and a house is just a modest affair, one mansion just would not fit into a house never mind many, should it not be “In my Fathers mansion there are many houses” The mansion was usually resided in by the master of the estate, the houses would be on the estate land and the tenants would pay him rent,
On the other hand maybe the saying could have got mixed up in translation along the way, it could have originally been “In my Fathers house there are many mantles” loose fitting sleeveless cloaks worn by women, perhaps there were many female visitors to the mansion, they could have been involved in arts and crafts for example, or the ten virgins who trimmed their wicks, there was a big hooley on in the mansion house that night according to Mathew.

"Then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like ten virgins, who took their lamps, and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. Those who were foolish, when they took their lamps, took no oil with them, but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. Now while the bridegroom delayed, they all slumbered and slept. But at midnight there was a cry, "Behold! The bridegroom is coming! Come out to meet him!" Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." But the wise answered, saying, "What if there isn't enough for us and you? You go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves." While they went away to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins also came, saying, "Lord, Lord, open to us." But he answered, "Most certainly I tell you, I don't know you." Watch therefore, for you don't know the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming." Mathew 25.1.13

Chew on that for a while Pug, then tell me what you make of them goings on with virgins and what have yeh, and all in the holy book too.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 08:23 PM

What a challenging entry (no pun intended)
Jem, you must have worn out your finger tips typing all those scholarly theological old chestnuts.

I find I don't worry any more about the here after, after hearing a member of the cloth assured me that no loving father God would allow a place of horror as hell has always been painted, to exist. Well that leaves Heaven only, unless you count eternal oblivion.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 09:01 PM

Chew on that for a while Pug, then tell me what you make of them goings on with virgins and what have yeh, and all in the holy book too.

ok-I'll have a go,Jem...but if you lot deride me,I'll flounce!

'Mansion' derives from the latin word 'Mansus',which in literal terms means 'to stay' or 'to remain' [depending on one's preference]

'House',used in it's basic form,means 'a structure of affective aspect within which residence is both secure & permanent'.

So,used in literal terms,all houses -ANY house,does in fact contain several 'manses'....rooms,in which a person may reside,or retain for personal use. [think 'mancave']

However,over the centuries,as per usual,sloppiness creeps into grammatical precision,allowing such phrases as "Doing the hoovering" [you're not-you're vacuuming,even if the implement is made by Hoover] or "Over the Tannoy".

However...I'm just a geezer wot don't know nuffink.
I got a 'g-' in biblical studies and a 'youwot?!?' in Latin studies.
However-I got a really nice tweed jacket for Crimble...[despite the Memsahib telling EVERYONE on her Jokebook account about my 'kissing the waitress under her cameltoe'....so I think I've been forgiven....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 09:14 AM

Now here is the thing, this morning I had a funny 5 minutes & googled Robert Junior over50s forum & UP Popped 22 pages of my posts.

I was surprised that all of this forums stuff is widely available. In future I will be less expansive
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 02:07 PM

My dear Mr Junior...REVEL in your infamy,sir-you've earned it,via toil & sweat!
GOOD man-keep up the excellent standard of postage...innit!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 03:20 PM

I agree with Pug, 22 pages of informative and comical posts and not an insulting word in any of them, hold your head high dear boy.

Great explanation about the mansion Pug, no better man to come up with the goods, thank you.

Nero was a very fine fiddler and a very fine fiddler was he, probably because they never caught him with his fingers in the till.

Old King Cole was a hairy old troll
And he joined a forum for free
He started for a row, when he called a lady a cow
Then he got barred, do you see?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

29-12-2016, 04:30 PM

Puggy, thanks for the encouragement.

You too Jembo

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum today
(sorry, Zero Mostel) & shucks , if I had been more ,less absentminded, that man could have been included in my rubbish verses a day or two past.

I occasionally pick up the RACING POST , carrying it under my arm in an effort to shock the other old boys in our rest home.
"Any tips?"
They're all deaf as posts so I didn't bother to add that nurse Gillian had always politely turned down the tips offered years before when on the men's circumcision ward.

Anyway. grabbing from the newsagent a copy of the Racing POst without checking properly my choice. Imagine my delight to find I'd picked up by mistake the IRish Times.

A door has been opened for me today..what a gooD READ,
(cramp...more later)
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

29-12-2016, 04:36 PM

Yes-they Oirish fellahs have all the best races,Mr J.

Now...cop an eyeful of THESE and pretend y'ain't all jealous-like. HMM???

I know,I know...steel-toecaps,steel plates in the soles...
...and my very own AIRSOLES,t'go with 'em...eatcha hearts out,losers!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

29-12-2016, 05:14 PM

I’m glad you’re enjoying the read RJ, the Irish Times is the posh paper over here.

Them’s a grand shoe Pug well may you wear them, must be great to have an understanding missus, Phyllis would take one look at me in them “Where are yeh off to in them Jem?, the high school hop?”
All you need now is one of them ganseys with a big letter “P” on it.

“Well open up, honey
It's your lover boy me that's a knockin'
Why don't you listen to me, sugar
All the cats are at the High School rockin'
Honey, get your boppin' shoes
Before the juke box blows a fuse
Hey everbody hoppin', everybody boppin'
Boppin' at the High School Hop
Boppin' at the High School Hop
Shakin' at the High School Hop
Hoppin' at the High School Hop
Rockin' at the High School Hop
Everybody's hoppin', everybody's boppin'
Boppin' at the High School Hop”

Page 153 of 1676 « First < 53 103 143 151 152 153 154 155 163 203 253 653 1153 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top