Join for free
Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Re: Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Right .. I went and ferreted out that KB3035583 and uninstalled it.
When I restarted ...Guess what .. it re-installed it back on my laptop.
I've got rid of it again but thus is getting like playing ping pong.

Yep it will do that because you forgot to tell it not to update it.

What you have to do is make sure it is up to date with its upgrades (because that makes it easier) then turn off automatic upgrades and uninstall that program. Next reboot your computer and tell it to look for upgrades because auto upgrades is off it will ask you if you want to installed the selected updates. If it was up to date it will only find the one you deleted otherwise you will have to find it. Now, from memory, you right click on it and look for HIDE on the resultant memory. Click on that and then turn automatic upgrades back on and Bob's your uncle.

Worked for me
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 01:48 PM

Hi

There is a certain inevitability in life.

Windows 10 is going to happen. like it or lump it, Microsoft will stop support for Windows 7.

Back up your files to an external drive, press the button and let life take it's course.

If you can grab a passing teenager, a few fags and a couple of cans of beer will make the entire process so much simpler.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 01:56 PM

Morty, when I did mine a while ago, can't remember which site I used, but I made notes of what I did.

Here's one that might help your question:

In order to make sure Windows doesn’t install KB3035583 again with the next round of updates,

In the Important Updates Box use: Install updates automatically (recommended)

******* UNCHECK the box “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates”******.
This will make sure the update will be listed under the “Optional” updates and no longer automatically install.

(Before I did the above, and when the KB3035583 was downloading again after I deleted it, I did 'system restore' to a point where it didn't appear, then did the above in bold.)

Hope you can understand any of that
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
As I said, Morty, save yourself a lot of hassle and use this:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Read my post of 1212am today for further details.
just tried it JBR excellent it did the job.....thanks
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Seriously .. is anyone else getting this bother and how have they avoided it
Yes, been through exactly the same thing, both SWMBO and I were agreed we would NOT load it, and we did not, but it decided to load it onto our computer anyway

Several problems ensued and we had to call Sarah our friendly computer lady who sorted it and also told us that you can't avoid having it, it will offer it to you a number of times but if you consistently reject it then it will just go into your computer and load it anyway.

This is the world we live in now and I don't like it, I continue to hate Bill Gates but with all his billions I doubt he cares.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
just tried it JBR excellent it did the job.....thanks
Pleased to hear it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->

Several problems ensued and we had to call Sarah our friendly computer lady who sorted it and also told us that you can't avoid having it, it will offer it to you a number of times but if you consistently reject it then it will just go into your computer and load it anyway.
I can!

My old laptop runs Windows 7. Some time ago, I was messing about trying to combine two partitions of my hard drive and ended up losing the hidden partition containing the restorable copy of Windows.

I called in a computer 'expert' who managed to install a new copy of Windows 7 and get the computer working again. Unfortunately, when I started to get these annoying messages more recently, it turns out that Microsoft sees my new Windows installation as an 'illegal copy'. That doesn't bother me unduly as I have done nothing other than replace the perfectly legal copy that came with the laptop when I bought it.

Anyway, whilst it sees the Windows installation as 'illegal', the computer still works anyway, even though it will not install any further updates which, as others have said, are not strictly essential.

If, on the other hand, it relents and allows the installation of Windows 10, I shan't complain!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 06:44 PM

Morticia

At the moment you are just accepting updates "willy nilly" from Microsoft, which by definition, means you are putting your faith and trust in them and creating a dependence on them. You have no idea whatsoever about what the updates are that you have allowed, you just hope and trust.
That is your prerogative.

I take a different approach. I don't trust any major conglomerate. I have my lovely Windows 7 and it is mine and I will be keeping it.

Consequently I shall not, under any circumstance, allow Microsoft to replace, upgrade or otherwise bugger up my Windows 7.

Do not believe the lies on the media nor on this forum. No-one HAS to accept Windows 10. Just as no-one can force you to upgrade your car. If you want to run that car for another 10 years that is entirely up to you. Whether or not Microsoft withdraw support for Windows 7 or 8 is entirely irrelevant. Their withdrawal of support won't suddenly make my Windows 7 stop working. It just means there will be no further updates, but that makes no difference to me as I never allow updates anyway.

Take control of your PC Morticia and resolve to be the master not the victim. Turn off Windows updates completely. Live with what you have, because it works well and has done so for ages.

So, disable windows updates (i.e. select NEVER update)
Uninstall the specific update KB3035583
Reboot

Enjoy the silence, enjoy Windows 7/8

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Sarah our friendly computer lady . . . told us that you can't avoid having it
I'm afraid she lied, or at the least is misinformed.

You DO NOT have to have Windows 10. You CAN continue with the version of Windows you have but to do so you MUST sever your connection with Microsoft by disabling updates which is no big deal because those updates will cease anyway.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 07:37 PM

Listen to Realist Morty, this is the way it is.
Some months ago Google slapped a big yellow warning sticker at the top of the page telling me that Vista would no longer be supported.

Well now I no longer get support from Google for Vista.....And guess what's happened?..........Absolutely nothing!
I have windows 7 on my Netbook and have never received updates or downloads of any description from Microsoft and will continue to use windows 7 until this computer fails and if my replacement computer contains windows 10 I will use it but only after disabling the updates feature.

Realist offers the best advice I have read on this topic.
(make sure you sign the cheque to Oldgreyfox Realist)

Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top