Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:14 PM

Re: Broadband Suppliers

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yes Meg, one of the disadvantages of living in a small village, no gas, no cable.

We however have just been upgraded in the village, so things are much better, relatively so, we are now on 6mb.

EE is the cheapest round here, more so than BT, who apparently now own EE.
Quite so Gibbs, that is why the beggers have pulled the plug on the EE email addresses of some here myself included causing us a major headache

Apparently we are in a 'grey area' here for Broadband although the surrounding villages have been upgraded , in other words because this as a small hamlet with a couple of dozen houses greedy BT are not interested in us we are too costly to provide althoght there is a cabinet a mile away.

You have to laugh , Broadband was opened out to provide competition and now we are back to a monopoly situation with a hand full of big boys owning the providers
Plusnet is also BT.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:32 PM

Have you looked at the Talk Talk offers Judd. I don't think they are any worse or any better than anyone else as far as service is concerned and they do seem to have some good offers at the moment.

TalkTalk Broadband Plans - Choose Your Contract Length
https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/mk/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Who supplies your broadband and can you recommend them?

At present I'm on Virgin Media broadband and it costs me the princely sum of fifty-seven quid a month with line rental and minimal TV.

Considering I seldom watch TV and never use my land-line I feel I'm being ripped off big style and with my upcoming retirement looming I think I'd better make some savings somewhere.

Ideas welcome.
We are with VM, but don't have TV or a telephone line.

We managed to get a reduction for no telephone line after the line failed and VM were unable to get it to work.

Consequently, we now have VOIP with Vonage. It costs us £7 a month with free calls to all 01, 02 and 03 numbers at all times.

We also got an offer of reduction in VM's fees for 18 months, not because I have complained several times about their service, but 'because we have been customers for many years'.

We have thought many times about leaving VM because of their unreliable service, but there are no other fibre broadband services around here.

Despite that, we may decide to ditch them and go with Plusnet. They are highly regarded, going by the recommendations I have read, although the broadband speed would be a good deal lower than VM's fibre.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Quite so Gibbs, that is why the beggers have pulled the plug on the EE email addresses of some here myself included causing us a major headache

Apparently we are in a 'grey area' here for Broadband although the surrounding villages have been upgraded , in other words because this as a small hamlet with a couple of dozen houses greedy BT are not interested in us we are too costly to provide althoght there is a cabinet a mile away.

You have to laugh , Broadband was opened out to provide competition and now we are back to a monopoly situation with a hand full of big boys owning the providers
Plusnet is also BT.

Hi

What you need is Keith Chegwyn.

He moved to Coton a month or so ago, a small hamlet about a mile and a half from me.

He kicked off in the local paper about his broadband speed when he arrived and low and behold the adverse publicity appears to have worked.

Openreach vans all over the place now on the road towards to the hamlet.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2...ent-broadband/
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 10:59 PM

Zen internet give an 'Award Winnng Service' for home and business and Telephone, based Up North in Rochdale Lancs

zen.co.uk
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Who supplies your broadband and can you recommend them?

At present I'm on Virgin Media broadband and it costs me the princely sum of fifty-seven quid a month
I pay £15 per month for broadband
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Bt broadband, home phone and mobile phones for four of us cost a little under £40 a month that's unlimited texts, calls and pretty good coverage on the mobiles. Customer service has been great on mobiles and broadband and home phone.

We all have different mobile packages mines quite small but perfectly formed, Grace's is tiny and my husband and Nathan have larger packages bigger data allowances.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 04:34 PM

Much depends on what you want from Broadband.

Back in the day there were only 2 Companies providing the hardware part of the Broadband Systems in the UK.

VM were getting into fibre optics and driving up the speeds to where they are today. They, really, chose where to put their fibre optics and, as a result, they tended to be laid in high population areas.

BT started with "Copper" as they routed everything through their telephone exchanges which were, then, not fibre optic (therefore very low speeds).

Speeds were reported as declining the further away from the telephone exchange you lived.

Most of the other "suppliers" were actually simply using BT's facilities and, therefore only getting BT's best speeds, which it has been suggested, were not as good as the adverts led us to believe.

If there were problems, there was a tendency to get bounced back and forward between the named supplier (eg Talk Talk) and BT.

Recently BT have been concentrating more on catching up with Fibre - but, it is suggested, are still far behind Virgin.

In the end, the choice is Speed v Price/quality of service..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 04:46 PM

VM certainly wins around here on speed, but speed isn't the only thing.

I have found VM to be really quite unreliable in several respects. Just today, for example, their e-mail service has been completely unavailable until I tried again 20 minutes ago and found it had come back again.

Fortunately, G-mail has always been fully functioning and I shall use that alone from now on.

I look forward to the day I can obtain an optional fibre broadband service that provides a reliable service.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:00 AM

I don't like VM. We had VM in cardiff and it was about £25+ just for the Broadband, but the speed was pretty rubbish considering it was cable. We moved to phone co-op which is less than VM with the phone line included and has better speed despite not being cable. Go figure. Phone Coop are a great company.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top