Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2011, 12:55 PM

My New Kindle

I recently purchased a Kindle book reader from Amazon.com. For $139 it will hold 3500 magazines or books, photographs and music. It displays a type of electronic text they call EInk that is really easy of the eyes because there is no backlighting such as you have on a computer screen or IPad. This also means you can easily read the text in bright sunlight.

It also comes with wi-fi internet capabilities and will even send text messages to cellphones for free. You buy & download books in Kindle format from Amazon.com that also has over 100,000 public domain classics for free. Such books as bibles, dictionaries and classic novels like Mark Twain, Shakesphere or Harriet Beecher Stowe are all free.

The Kindle 3 is the thickness of a pencil, weighs 8.5 ounces and has a 6 inch screen with adjustable font sizes for easy reading. The fully charged Kindle will hold a charge for an entire month.

For the price this is one very useful gadget because I can read and have access to my music & email all in one tiny package. I should be a salesman. LOL
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Re: My New Kindle

Was thinking of getting one of them.

Just bought a book of amazon for £18.00 could have downloaded the same for £7.

Priced at £111 in this country might just ask my Daughter when she goes over to Boston for the Henley regatta in March to buy me one
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2011, 01:56 PM

My wife is also an avid reader Bob, but she has made it quite clear that she doesn`t desire a Kindle or any other book reader. She finds the pleasure not just in the story but in the whole ceremony surrounding reading, from browsing through the bookshops and library, to turning the pages and being able to go back a bit and check something, to exchanging books with family and friends. Don`t you find the availability of everything online to be quite insulating from the rest of society sometimes?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2011, 04:28 PM

I have one and love it! They are awesome - perfect for reading as they don't hurt your eyes. Highly recommended!

Here's mine

bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
My wife is also an avid reader Bob, but she has made it quite clear that she doesn`t desire a Kindle or any other book reader. She finds the pleasure not just in the story but in the whole ceremony surrounding reading, from browsing through the bookshops and library, to turning the pages and being able to go back a bit and check something, to exchanging books with family and friends. Don`t you find the availability of everything online to be quite insulating from the rest of society sometimes?
I'll tell you what I feel is insulting. I love old pocket sci-fi paperbacks. They were $.25 when I was a kid. That same book is now $145 at Amazon yet free if you get it in Kindle electronic format.

My enjoyment comes from the reading, the book. If it were all about the value of the book there would be none converted to any digital format. This way they are timeless. I certainly understand the physical aspects of reading, such as kids, sitting in groups on a library floor with a pile of books between them, friends, exchanging paperback novels. It's not easy to trade novels on a Kindle because to assigned to an Amazon account.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2011, 05:44 PM

I love mine, also recommend it highly. The only thing I miss is not seeing page numbers .... but it does keep a running percentage on the lower left; I'm 41 % thru my first book. Haven't tried connecting to Google or e-mail yet ....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 08:39 PM

We've thought about Kindles, as we both read incessantly. We already have i-phones with loads of books on (including audiobooks), so we aren't techno-phobes by any means, but we tend to use them when we are away from home (mostly whiling away the endless hours in hospital waiting rooms). At home I don't feel that I am properly reading unless I have an actual book in my hand. For me, the look, feel and smell of the book is as much part of the pleasure of reading as the words themselves.
Kagslee
New Member!
North East UK
Kagslee is female 

22-01-2011, 08:29 PM

My kid's wanted to buy me a Kindle for Christmas as I love reading, I talked them out of it as it is a social pleasure also, swapping books, chatting to people in the library... but my main worry with a Kindle would be dropping it in the bath, I love reading in the bath, paper can be dried, can an expensive Kindle?
bobmielke
Portland, OR

22-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kagslee ->
My kid's wanted to buy me a Kindle for Christmas as I love reading, I talked them out of it as it is a social pleasure also, swapping books, chatting to people in the library... but my main worry with a Kindle would be dropping it in the bath, I love reading in the bath, paper can be dried, can an expensive Kindle?
No need, just put it in a Ziplock plastic bag. LOL
Kagslee
New Member!
North East UK
Kagslee is female 

22-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
No need, just put it in a Ziplock plastic bath. LOL
Lol, good idea

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top