Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 11:26 PM

Re: Cheap Microsoft office?

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm on Windows 7 Premium with Service Pack 1.

You are correct, the program comes with OneDrive and Skype as standard, two programs that I won't be using. My old version of Office allowed you to choose which components of the Office Suite you installed, each of those separate components could also be uninstalled separately. With this version it's all or nothing.
I'm on Windows 10 Creators Edition, also "all or nothing" - it must be the new Microsoft philosophy .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 02:38 AM

If you are not using VBA I think it is hard to go past LibreOffice and bugger M$.

Libre Office is free, reads and creates all M$ Office compatible files, has a GB version for spelling etc

Free is less than any M$ Office price.

Unfortunately I use VBA a lot so I am stuck with M$ Office but I teach Libre Office at the Broadband for Seniors Kiosk.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
If you are not using VBA I think it is hard to go past LibreOffice and bugger M$.

Libre Office is free, reads and creates all M$ Office compatible files, has a GB version for spelling etc

Free is less than any M$ Office price.

Unfortunately I use VBA a lot so I am stuck with M$ Office but I teach Libre Office at the Broadband for Seniors Kiosk.

I'll second that.

If I didn't already have MS Office (I got it cheap through my wife's work!) I wouldn't have bothered. I also have Libre Office which does everything MS Office does for free.

In fact Libre Office will open many file formats that MS Office can't handle. I found it invaluable for 'rescuing' some old Lotus files I've had for a long time. Having opened them, you can then save them as other formats, including MS Office.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 10:03 PM

Open Office/Libre both okay at what they do but in my case I needed Access (database) and Outlook, compatibles of which aren't available.

I do have Open Office installed because a user designed some editable electrical completion certificates in .odt format which I use for my job. They're not great but are a damned-sight cheaper (i.e. free) than buying a dedicated software program to do the job and filling in paper forms by hand is a pain in the arse.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 11:45 PM

Open Office/Libre both okay at what they do but in my case I needed Access (database) and Outlook, compatibles of which aren't available.

I do have Open Office installed because a user designed some editable electrical completion certificates in .odt format which I use for my job. They're not great but are a damned-sight cheaper (i.e. free) than buying a dedicated software program to do the job and filling in paper forms by hand is a pain in the arse.
M$ Word will open .odt documents all by itself and convert them to docx etc. .ODT was designed as a universal format
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've followed internet-supplied advice and deleted a couple of credentials and that may have done the trick ..... I'll let you know .....
The credentials re-appeared, so I then tried de-linking the auto-update from Office to Microsoft - that half-worked but presented update warnings, so I've gone back to original settings for now, since the problem seems to be escalating worldwide .....

Excel files on OneDrive ask to log in for _vti_rpc

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-0ddd51f6a76a
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
M$ Word will open .odt documents all by itself and convert them to docx etc. .ODT was designed as a universal format
Not in my case sadly, something to do with the formatting or maybe the excessive use of tables in the document?

The .odt files wouldn't open on my previous version of Office and neither do they do on this version - that's why I had to install Open Office to get the documents to open.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

06-09-2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The credentials re-appeared, so I then tried de-linking the auto-update from Office to Microsoft - that half-worked but presented update warnings, so I've gone back to original settings for now, since the problem seems to be escalating worldwide .....

Excel files on OneDrive ask to log in for _vti_rpc

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-0ddd51f6a76a
The link you posted pertains to Office 365, the online version and I would imagine our disk-based system would work differently? See if there's an option to disable One Drive synch in preferences. I'm off out now so will investigate this from my end also.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-09-2017, 02:16 PM

The link you posted pertains to Office 365, the online version and I would imagine our disk-based system would work differently? See if there's an option to disable One Drive synch in preferences. I'm off out now so will investigate this from my end also.

The problem occurs on both Office 16 and Office 265 according to this thread:

Tell us the account you want to use to open _vti_rpc.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-5ea345e4eda7

sf_mpls replied on August 18, 2017

I, personally, have only had the problem with Word - nothing else. However, unlike some/most others, I am using Office 2016 not Office 365. I am not sure if it matters.

I also want patches to Office so I have decided to continue with the problem version and wait for a patch. Note that for me, when I get the pop-up, I can just click "X" in the upper right corner and the pop-up will go away and the file will be saved normally. You can check the date on the file on OneDrive to verify.

I do not have a problem with OneDrive. My guess is that exiting would work.

Aside: If you hover your mouse over the link in the pop-up (_vti_rpc) you will see that it points to an executable in OneDrive. I don't know what it is supposed to do but it is a problem.
mattreed replied on August 24, 2017

I had the same issue. Thought it was a larger software/environment issue and ended up doing a full reinstall of Windows 10 since I was having a few other issues (major Office 2016 crashes even after going through the Office Repair process). But, after reinstalling both Windows 10 and Office 2016 the error persisted.
Strangely, I have not seen the error in the last two days. I'm not sure what is different.

Only thing that I have done is that when the "sign in" window popped up, both in Word and in Excel, I "logged in" multiple times (probably like 3-5 times each). One time, the prompt stopped and I was able to close normally. Other times I got tired and just closed the window.

The only thing I can really figure is that the backend OneDrive issue is slowly being fixed on a gradual rollout.
My Version of Office is at 1707 Build 8326.2076
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-09-2017, 02:09 PM

I have just come across the following for Office 2016:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/art...8-df95103aa1e6

Delete cropped areas of a picture

Even after you crop parts of a picture, the cropped parts remain as part of the picture file. You can reduce the file size by removing the croppings from the picture file. This also helps prevent other people from viewing the parts of the picture that you have removed.

Select the picture or pictures from which you want to delete cropped areas.

Under Picture Tools, on the Format tab, in the Adjust group, click Compress Pictures.

Compress Pictures button on the Picture Tools Format tab

Compress Pictures icon with no label

Under Compression Options, select the Delete cropped areas of pictures check box.

To remove croppings for the selected picture or pictures only and not all of the pictures in the file, select the Apply only to this picture check box.
Now this is very useful indeed, both for saving space and ensuring security, privacy, decency, etc ..... is this facility new(ish)? I don't recall it in Office 2007, which I had previously .....

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top