Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Is this a scam

Yesterday I had a phonecall about 1pm it was an Indian (or Indian sounding)chappie I couldn't understand a word he said but the key words I did hear were Acer(the make of Computer I own)Google and googlemail which I use I think the jist of what he was trying to tell me was there was a problem with this and it could crash my computer at any time he wanted me to let him in to my computer to resolve the problem I told him No and said I would speak to my son-in-law and could he ring back tommorrow ...My computer is now out of warrenty and I did once have a problem with the CD drive and it was an Indian gentleman that put it right via a phone call to Acer ...I spoke to Paul (my daughters partner) and he said no way let them do anything so the chappie rang back today and I asked him the questions and asked him to speak slowly and answer what I asked this is what was said
He said his name was James and he was from Cardiff police IT support team and there was a problem with Googlemail being attacked by hackers and spyware and is it malware
and he wanted acsess to my computer to put this right again I said no not interested and I would get it sorted myself and put the phone down it has worried me a bit and I wonder if any of you know anything about this it seemmed funny that Cardiff police should be worried about someone in Shropshire...
Sue
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Re: Is this a scam

How strange Sue and suspicious - I think you did the right thing saying no and hanging up.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 11:28 PM

That's a new one to me Sounds very very suspicious; glad you didn't let them have access to your computer!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 08:53 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...a-call-centres
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Definite scam IMO - Have made a policy of not talking to anyone with an Indian accent after I was lied to numerous times by the Barclaycard Call centre in India. The operators there just read from a script, have not the slightest interest in helping you and, just lie when you ask them to do something.

Guardian article very worrying, don't trust PayPal either, all in all I'm reducing my shopping on the internet a lot recently, just can't risk it.

The Guardian said:-
"Often, the victims are inexperienced or elderly, convinced by the apparent authority of the callers and the worrying contents of the Event Viewer. In fact, such "errors" are not indicative of any problems"

Never look at my 'Event Viewer' so no point in someone ringing me about that
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 01:41 PM

I had a great one last week: an Indian blke phoned `from my bank` and said he was checking I had the right account for what I do etc. etc.. then asked for my details!

Three guesses what I advised him to do?
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 05:57 PM

When I get a call obviously from a call centre I say nothing and just lay the phone down and let them talk to themselves for 20 minutes or so and then hang up.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Pretend to be an answer phone is also a good one
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Three guesses what I advised him to do?
Hmmmmm now let's see:-

Guess 1 - "What a nice getleman, my a/c number is"

Guess 2 - "I'll text you the number, sort code & password"

Guess 3 - "f*** of you s***** little b*******"

Has to be one of those
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Thank you all so much for the replies I am so glad now I didn't go along with him as I can be quite gullible but I am fed up with Indian call centres I don't mind them being Indian but you just can't understand them I deal a lot with them from my place of work Thank you Galty for the link too that was really an eye opener...
Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top