Join for free
unistudent
New Member!
Brighton, UK
unistudent is female 

11-02-2011, 12:40 PM

Do you ever struggle replacing batteries?

Dear forum users,

I'm a mature student currently working on an inclusive design project at the University of Brighton. I'm aiming to design a device that makes replacing AA and/or AAA batteries easier as it can be much more of a struggle than it needs to be for a lot of people. This device would take very little effort to use also for persons with limited dexterity.

I have joined this forum as I am hoping to get in touch with people who would potentially be interested in such a device.

As a starting point, I would like to know about your own experiences replacing batteries from remote controls, portable radios, alarm clocks and the like. Do you tend to use a screwdriver to lever them out or do you normally ask others to replace the batteries for you? Are there any other issues you would like to raise regarding battery removal?

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Caroline
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Re: Do you ever struggle replacing batteries?

Hello Caroline, I wish you luck in your venture. Thankfully I don't have too much bother changing batteries, but the thing I find most annoying, say in a remote control, is trying to find the tiny arrow that points the direction the batteries should go, when you unscrew the cover the inside is black plastic and you cant see a damned thing. I have to get my eye-glass out to find it. I'm all for any device to make it easier.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Hi Caroline
I Designed a pair of pliers years ago when I worked with the disabled for one lad who had bad arthritis in his hands, similar to surgical ones with the bent curved nose but with straight handles and a strap so that using just the thumb muscle and the base of the little finger he could use them easily.

Just an idea which may give you something to develope on.

Best of luck with your project.

Jemflux, There is usually a spring at the negative end or the contact is usually bigger if there is no spring.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Gosh no.
I can rewire a plug and everything. And I still have my own teeth.
And marbles.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2011, 06:46 PM

I can a still usually manage batteries OK, but one thing that I think would be useful would be to have a little tab inside the unit for the batteries. If this little tab could be pulled on, the batteries could then pop out easily. I think some devices already have these little tabs.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Gosh no.
I can rewire a plug and everything. And I still have my own teeth.
And marbles.
I can still rewire a plug clairandaisy, but I'll be damned if I can find those marbles...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2011, 03:35 AM

The only batteries I change regularly are those in my Nikon camera, and they pop out and back easily. Oh, and the flashlight ones are easy to change also.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2011, 03:44 AM

I can even open a letter and a tin of beans!

Rainbow x
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2011, 07:15 AM

MrsMojo is 5 years older than me. I watched intensly as she struggled to change the batteries in her electric toothbrush. I don't know why she has one as she's has no frickin' teeth! Anyway, putting asides aside, although it was a struggle for her with her poor old sausage fingers, the bigger problem was that due to the intense concentration needed for an old person to complete this complex task a big blob of saliva gathered on her lower lip that dribbled down and short-circuited the batteries.

I laffed !
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2011, 09:30 AM

I`m amazed she could see them, what with her failing facultiles and all.
And fair play to her - she managed to remember what she was doing all the way through.
And she didn`t forget what she was doing either.
What was I saying?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top