Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Re: Advice needed, please!

Originally Posted by Missy ->
OMG that sounds like my worst nightmare

I couldn't bare to have that many dvds cluttering up my home. Even my CDs are in a drawer out of sight

I have moved on and now stream everything, no need to have DVDs or Cds

I have to admit to also culling my books and now only have two low book cases in my bedroom and they are now mostly cook books
I do not have either a TV set or a TV license, Missy, so that is not an option. They don't clutter though - just sit quite neatly on shelves in what would otherwise be wasted space.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
You could try filing them into Pink boxes, Blue boxes, Green boxes etc. That should keep you busy for a few hours!

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
All my DVDs and CDs are in those multi holder jobby things as in the original cases they take up too much room.
Never thought of decanting them, Nicol. Space is not a problem though.

Originally Posted by summer ->
Good grief Tabby...you have a condition called Collectiveitus. Go see a doctor...at once !!

I do have a 'review' coming up - maybe I should mention it then. They'll probably have me 'sectioned' !!

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
ditch em all and start again but next time much much slower!
Good thought - but expensive!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 12:46 PM

You could start by looking here and other "DVD Collection" sites

https://www.techsupportalert.com/bes...n-software.htm

Best Free DVD Collection Software
Last updated by George on 23. March 2017 - 15:57

Introduction
I have been collecting DVDs for many years, and I now have a wall full of them. The first time I bought a DVD that I had already bought, it became obvious to me that I needed to organize my collection better. So I thought about what I needed in a software package. My needs were relatively simple. The software should have the following characteristics:
  • free
  • user-friendly interface
  • easy input
  • support for free online information
  • filtering, statistics and reports
Or, alternatively, set up a simple spreadsheet.

You could even adapt an MS Excel free download inventory:

https://templates.office.com/en-US/Inventories

I use this for my home inventory (which includes CDs and DVDs):

https://templates.office.com/en-US/H...ist-TM16400665

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-08-2018, 03:25 PM

Thanks, Omah, that software looks good. Now you have me thinking - I am sure I have Microsoft Access somewhere in this heap of chips - I could set up a proper database! That'll give me something to do during the long winter nights!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The potential problem with that is - I would have to watch them again to make sure I didn't want to watch them again - if you see what I mean!!
I know exactly what you mean.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 03:39 PM

I do not have either a TV set or a TV license, Missy, so that is not an option. They don't clutter though - just sit quite neatly on shelves in what would otherwise be wasted space.
You don't need a license for a lot of streaming. Its live tv you need a license for

Heres an easy explanation
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/tele...ence-explained
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Thanks, Omah, that software looks good. Now you have me thinking - I am sure I have Microsoft Access somewhere in this heap of chips - I could set up a proper database! That'll give me something to do during the long winter nights!
This may help:

How to Organize Your DVD Collection Using Access

https://itstillworks.com/organize-dv...s-5665920.html

If you are like most Americans, you have a large collection of DVDs in your house. If you have been interested in taking some steps to efficiently organize your collection, you probably looked into alphabetizing or to writing down the titles on a piece of lined paper or index cards. Microsoft Access offers a great, easy and interactive way to keep track of your collection in a digital, manageable format.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 04:43 PM

My DVD collection ( almost 2000 now) has become totally rebellious and is trying to take over the world!

I have a long, narrow, hall that runs from front to back of the house. One wall is all shelved and houses the DVDs. When I began the collection - they were filed in alphabetical order.

As the collection expanded I separated them into genre - crime, adventure, horror, sci-fi, comedy etc.,

Then I had the bright idea of collecting specific actors work - John Thaw, Maggie Smith, Martin Shaw etc., but they are multi talented and work across most genre - so how the heck do I file them?

Light bulb moment - I write a comprehensive index!

But - do I make that strict alphabetical? Do I write it by genre? Do I compile it by actor?

Will I live long enough to finish the wretched thing?

If there is anyone still awake out there - save me from myself - and advise me what to do for the best - PLEASE!!!
I have just been through my DVD's & did keep, watch sometimes & get rid of.
The keep & watch sometimes I bought boxes to store them in. The get rid of go to a charity shop, some better ones I'll sell at a car boot. I haven't cataloged them in types or anything, perhaps I should have. Some unwatched I've left on the shelf, I might get around to actually watching them some time.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 11:34 PM

1. Any you don't watch anymore give them to the charity shop.
2. Put all the ones you don't watch anymore into boxes and store them in the loft.
3. Sort the rest into alphabetical order.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-08-2018, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
1. Any you don't watch anymore give them to the charity shop.
2. Put all the ones you don't watch anymore into boxes and store them in the loft.
3. Sort the rest into alphabetical order.
Alpha and genre - or just alpha, Floydy ?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top