Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 10:14 PM

Searching for Mum

Did anyone see this documentary on BBC2 9 o/clock last night?

I found it very sad.
2 Indian girls who had been given away as babies and raised in England. Now they wanted to travel back to their homeland to find out why their Mother's gave them up, and hopefully, to find their Mums and be reunited.

Sadly, both Mum's had died in poverty.
The oldest girl was heartbroken because she felt if only she had gone back a few years earlier, she might have been in time to save her Mother from such a lonely, miserable death.

Then with help, she also discovered her Father had died too.
She managed to find his grave and was upset to see there was no headstone, not even anything with his name on it.
She then made another horrible discovery.
Because the grave was never visited and tended by anyone, the grave was re-sold to another family with a death!

The poor girl was horrified and asked what happened to her Father. She was told he was 'underneath' the last corpse!

I don't know how often this happens in India, but just imagine if that happened here.
If a deceased had no relatives, or no one bothered to visit a grave, imagine if the parish council just flogged the grave to another family with a bereavement and dug the first occupant deeper in and the newer one on top!

Also it seems often when a relative dies there, the families know how to treat the body with certain herbs, to preserve it, and then the deceased is often kept in and open coffin type thing in the family home for a year or more before it is taken away for burial.
There was a family's old Mum lying there in their home, complete with her spectacles on, and she looked just like she was asleep. They believe they shouldn't be taken away from their home until the family are ready to cope with it. They don't snatch them away the same day like we do.

It was really interesting in seeing other people's beliefs, although I found it quite upsetting in parts as well, especially when those two girls realised they were too late.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 08:10 AM

Re: Searching for Mum

I think I may have recorded it mups ,having read this I'm not sure if I can watch it , I cry so much when I hear such sadness . It sounds interesting though

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top