Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 02:45 PM

T.V. Sound...

The T.V. sound isn't right!
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is tired of forever reaching for the remote control to increase the volume on the tv because we can't hear what's being said, then, only minutes later - decreasing the volume, due to some ' extra loud' noise such as 'incidental / background music' or someone just closing a door , (which sounds like an explosion, sometimes).
Anyway, last night we watched a film on channel 81, 'Talking Pictures' (Freeview) It was a 1970 film. I can't remember the title.
Not once did I have to adjust the volume control. So, it's not my hearing that's faulty!, Or our tv!
It's the way that the modern programmes are being broadcast that's the problem!
Anyone else with the same thoughts?
Malc.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Re: T.V. Sound...

It definitely depends on the programme/film you're watching
I can adjust mine from anything from 6 to 26 in any given day,!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is tired of forever reaching for the remote control to increase the volume on the tv because we can't hear what's being said, then, only minutes later - decreasing the volume, due to some ' extra loud' noise such as 'incidental / background music' or someone just closing a door , (which sounds like an explosion, sometimes).
Anyway, last night we watched a film on channel 81, 'Talking Pictures' (Freeview) It was a 1970 film. I can't remember the title.
Not once did I have to adjust the volume control. So, it's not my hearing that's faulty!, Or our tv!
Malc.
The film/programme producers would have us believe that as we get older, we can't hear certain sounds so well. Of course, that doesn't explain all the old films which can be heard perfectly well.

Often, the background sound is louder than the speech and any music just has us reaching for the remote. That combined with actors that mumble results in poor productions, and it's a good job the adverts are not louder than the programmes (or so they say).
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 03:01 PM

I have the remote in hand whilst watching the news, I'm constantly adjusting the volume. ... people shouting via skype from a foreign country about some disaster they've witnessed .... studio presenter shouting to colleague who's out in the street (what's that all about?! You'd shout if you're communicating through the window, but ...).
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Ah I've said this before on her Malc somewhere.

The background music is so loud, that you just cannot hear what the person is saying, and you turn up the volumne to hear them, but then puncture your ears by the music.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 05:45 PM

You could try what a few of us on here do Malc, turn on the subtitles and keep the volume lower. No good with quiz shows though, they tend to put the answer up with the question.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 05:50 PM

It might be worth looking through the sound settings to see if the TV has an automatic volume control or one that says something like 'night mode'.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 06:07 PM

I wear cordless headphones when I watch telly because my hearing isn't great, especially in my right ear.

But I've noticed some programmes are louder than others and the ads are louder still, especially the Sky ones.

I have subtitles on all the time which is fine until there's a programme with no subtitles
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

28-08-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I wear cordless headphones when I watch telly because my hearing isn't great, especially in my right ear.

But I've noticed some programmes are louder than others and the ads are louder still, especially the Sky ones.

I have subtitles on all the time which is fine until there's a programme with no subtitles
It's shocking how many channels still don't have sub-titles.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Malc.
I completely agree.

I have said so many times that whereas we have made enormous strides technologically over the years, we seem to have lost skills that we once had.

As others have said, I am frequently having to adjust the volume, and that is on the same channel between different programmes.

Then, of course, there is the current trend to include loud 'background' music to the detriment of hearing the dialogue.

And, yes, I agree about old black and white films. I have watched many recently which have, without exception, absolutely clear sound and especially speech.

What we need is to re-recruit some ninety year-old sound technicians to take advantage of their undoubted skills, because their present day successors haven't a clue!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top