Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 04:27 PM

Help with letter to local authorities

Help to compose letter To Local authorities'Dear Sir /Madam
Where is the care in the community ,the reassurance for sick/elderly people.? GPs surgeries are often fully booked & not open at night or w/ends.Drs /Nurses at xxxxxxx hospital are very busy ,their aim to get patients out of hospital A.S.A.P, Who to turn to for help ? On the 27 /8/18 I was taken by ambulance to A&E,with rapid heart beat & S.O.B ataprox 11PM , but .at 4 AM next day [28/8/18] I was discharged ,told to go home,despite still feeling unwell,& told to return later if symptoms persisted, At aprox 8.30 A.M that day I was returned by ambulance to A&E & admitted for 5 days. While in hospital a consultant ,very sarcastically , asked ,& proceeded to tell me, how many times I had been to hospital.,This was very upsetting .I do not ask / choose or wish to go hospital. l am 81 yrs old. diagnosed with C.O.P,D/ Cancer & Heart failure ,among other medical conditions. If my G.Ps are closed I ring 111 for advice ,they always send paramedics to me who take me to A&E for further treatment..Yours Truly xxxx
Any advice on above letter please ?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:06 PM

Re: Help with letter to local authorities

[QUOTE=deylon;1524556]Help to compose letter To Local authorities'Dear Sir /Madam

I wish to bring the following to your attention

On the 27 /8/18 I was taken by ambulance to A&E at ***** hospital****,with rapid heart beat & S.O.B at aprox 11PM , but by 4 AM next day [28/8/18] I was discharged ,told to go home,despite still feeling unwell,& told to return later if symptoms persisted, At aprox 8.30 A.M that day I was returned by ambulance to A&E & admitted for 5 days. . l am 81 yrs old. diagnosed with C.O.P,D/ Cancer & Heart failure ,among other medical conditions. .

I would be grateful if you could look into this matter, (re being discharged), and get back to me via post/email/phone
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Best to get direct to the point so they know exactly what you are complaining about . Try and avoid mentioning any particular hospital person as they will close ranks on you.

Avoid being antagonistic, it will only get their backs up

Don't forget to give any hospital ref no and National health No for quick reference

That would be my advice for what it is worth

My local hospital has a patients complaints section, may be worth looking into

But this is what your forum Village idiot would write, that is ME
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:25 PM

I would send a copy to your MP too. I found mine to be useful and passes concerns on to the relevant department, that brings it to the attention of the Government.
If we don't tell MPs what's going on they assume things are ok
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to complain about the shocking lack of out of hours community services for patients living in this area who need additional support with conditions such as COPD, cancer and heart failure.

I constantly feel anxious and afraid as the evening nears, knowing that there will be no support and reassurance at hand after 8.30pm when I cannot catch my breath, but that I will have to call 111 and end up with paramedics putting me in an ambulance if I am unwell. I have been in and out of hospital more times than I can remember and have been advised by district nurses to call the emergency services when their community service closes for the evening.

For example, on the 27/8/18 I was taken by ambulance to A&E with rapid heart beat and shortness of breath at approximately 11PM, but at 4 AM next day [28/8/18] I was discharged, told to go home, despite still feeling unwell and told to return later if symptoms persisted. At aprox 8.30 A.M that day I was returned by ambulance to A&E and admitted for 5 days.

On top of this, while in hospital on that occasion a consultant told me off about for being admitted to hospital so many times. This was very upsetting. I do not ask, choose or wish to go hospital. l am 81 yrs old, diagnosed with C.O.P,D/ Cancer & Heart failure, among other medical conditions and I want to be treated at home. But it is not possible because you have not arranged services in my area to enable that to happen 24 hours.

I have also been refused a nebuliser and oxygen tank so I have nothing to relieve my symptoms. I've had to change my own dressings when the district nursing service is short of staff and I do not feel I can cope any more.

I would be grateful if you could explain what you are doing to improve out of hour community services in my area so that vulnerable people with chronic conditions such as myself are not constantly at risk of hospital admissions at a time when the emergency services are under so much pressure, and hospital beds are needed by those who cannot be treated at home. I do not understand why other areas of London have a 24 hour rapid response service and I cannot access this. Please explain.

Yours faithfully
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:31 PM

AnnieS

When I have had to write a complaint letter I have always found it more responsive if it is direct and to the point.

With all due respect anyone reading what you wrote would have given up half way through. Is the complaint about social services in general or about the hospital treatment given in particular, it is not very clear

Just my opinion
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to complain about the shocking lack of out of hours community services for patients living in this area who need additional support with conditions such as COPD, cancer and heart failure.

I constantly feel anxious and afraid as the evening nears, knowing that there will be no support and reassurance at hand after 8.30pm when I cannot catch my breath, but that I will have to call 111 and end up with paramedics putting me in an ambulance if I am unwell. I have been in and out of hospital more times than I can remember and have been advised by district nurses to call the emergency services when their community service closes for the evening.

For example, on the 27/8/18 I was taken by ambulance to A&E with rapid heart beat and shortness of breath at approximately 11PM, but at 4 AM next day [28/8/18] I was discharged, told to go home, despite still feeling unwell and told to return later if symptoms persisted. At aprox 8.30 A.M that day I was returned by ambulance to A&E and admitted for 5 days.

On top of this, while in hospital on that occasion a consultant told me off about for being admitted to hospital so many times. This was very upsetting. I do not ask, choose or wish to go hospital. l am 81 yrs old, diagnosed with C.O.P,D/ Cancer & Heart failure, among other medical conditions and I want to be treated at home. But it is not possible because you have not arranged services in my area to enable that to happen 24 hours.

I have also been refused a nebuliser and oxygen tank so I have nothing to relieve my symptoms. I've had to change my own dressings when the district nursing service is short of staff and I do not feel I can cope any more.

I would be grateful if you could explain what you are doing to improve out of hour community services in my area so that vulnerable people with chronic conditions such as myself are not constantly at risk of hospital admissions at a time when the emergency services are under so much pressure, and hospital beds are needed by those who cannot be treated at home. I do not understand why other areas of London have a 24 hour rapid response service and I cannot access this. Please explain.

Yours faithfully
A good letter but I would change the emboldened section to the less confrontational,

"I am writing to draw your attention to the shocking lack of out of hours community services for patients living in this area who need additional support with conditions such as COPD, cancer and heart failure.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:37 PM

Realspeed, it's not a complaint to a business but an official NHS complaint. It needs to be detailed and it's their job to read it all the way through and address the points.

Judd, yes that might work better. But the reason I put "complain" in is so that it is immediately routed to the status of an official complaint. Complaints are treated differently from ordinary correspondence and recorded. I think there's a process which is time constrained in terms of the response and escalation route. etc

What about starting with "I wish to record an official complaint" is that maybe less confrontational?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-09-2018, 06:38 PM

I'd remove the word "shocking". I just find it shocking myself!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:43 PM

I'd remove the word "shocking". I just find it shocking myself!
Change it to disgraceful?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

22-09-2018, 06:44 PM

Realspeed, it's not a complaint to a business but an official NHS complaint. It needs to be detailed and it's their job to read it all the way through and address the points.

Judd, yes that might work better. But the reason I put "complain" in is so that it is immediately routed to the status of an official complaint. Complaints are treated differently from ordinary correspondence and recorded. I think there's a process which is time constrained in terms of the response and escalation route. etc

What about starting with "I wish to record an official complaint" is that maybe less confrontational?
A bit too Parrot Sketch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top