Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:27 PM

Re: What was your favourite??

I wasn't into chocolates much as a kid. Although I do remember buying some sweets every now and again.

I remember penny (?) sweets. There were some square shaped liquorice ones I liked. Also sherbet dips and the liquorice lace circle with a coloured sweet in the middle.

Oh and aniseed balls
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I wasn't into chocolates much as a kid. Although I do remember buying some sweets every now and again.

I remember penny (?) sweets. There were some square shaped liquorice ones I liked. Also sherbet dips and the liquorice lace circle with a coloured sweet in the middle.

Oh and aniseed balls
When you think about it, us kids must have driven shopkeepers mad with all the penny sweets. 'I'll have one chocolate saw, two flying saucers......'
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When you think about it, us kids must have driven shopkeepers mad with all the penny sweets. 'I'll have one chocolate saw, two flying saucers......'
Your reply got me thinking about that ad on the TV. You know the one, yes you do, say you do

The one where the little girl goes into the sweet shop to 'buy' her mum's birthday present. She asks for a chocolate bar and pays for it with buttons and her favourite toy.
Then the shopkeeper gives her a large chocolate bar, keeps the buttons and gives her her favourite toy back as her 'change'.
Lovely advert that makes me go 'aaaah'
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
When I was a teenager I worked at a mall and there was a Laura Secord in it.
It was a tad dangerous but heavenly.
We didn’t have any aunts or uncles and while my parents never bought Laura Secord eggs, we did get some really good chocolates. Plus my father’s work always had stuff for the kids at every holiday and I’ve been an Addict ever since
Hi ya Bratti...I was just speaking to my niece in BC about an hour ago and mentioned this thread to her. She also recalled just how much her dad (my brother) had loved those Laura Secord Easter Eggs...and could down one of the one pound size, at one sitting... We laughed so much but of course it was bittersweet...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Your reply got me thinking about that ad on the TV. You know the one, yes you do, say you do

The one where the little girl goes into the sweet shop to 'buy' her mum's birthday present. She asks for a chocolate bar and pays for it with buttons and her favourite toy.
Then the shopkeeper gives her a large chocolate bar, keeps the buttons and gives her her favourite toy back as her 'change'.
Lovely advert that makes me go 'aaaah'
Yes, I've seen that several times. Can't imagine any shopkeeper doing it in real life though.
I still buy the Fry's bars, though they are actually made by Cadbury's now. They aren't bad but not quite the same & definitely smaller.
The Hershey Company now own Cadburys, a bad move I think. Hershey bars are awful, though they don't seem to have messed about with the Cadburys recipes too much.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 02:33 AM

I haven't had a sweet since Woolies closed.If they had kept it just to picknmix they'd still be in business.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 03:23 AM

I can’t relate to people not having a sweet tooth.
What’s with that? I must have gotten your portion cause I’ve always had a wicked sweet tooth. When we were kids there was a store where we went camping and you could get 3 candies for a penny. There were black balls, gummy bears , licorice, Jube Jubes, wine gums, bubble gum. It was awesome cause when we were on vacation we got a quarter a day to spend on junk and we did just that. Those are some of the funniest memories of my life.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Sweet peanuts (which arnt the same today)
Caramac chocolate bars (same as above)
Pear drops (tastes like I think nail varnish smells)
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 08:26 AM

It's difficult to get Laura Secord in the UK, you sometimes used to see them in posh shops.

Sherbet dabs that takes me back and those hard little sticks of Spanish...we put them in a bottle of water shook them up and made Spanish wine with them ...very chic
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Caramac, I remember how sweet it was.

Strange, but as I've got older I've lost my sweet tooth altogether. My neighbour gave me some trifle and I could only eat 2 spoonfuls as it was so sweet.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top