Join for free
Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 10:54 PM

Re: Female Doctor Who

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Well, I gave Dr Who another try, and it started off promisingly enough as an amusing twist on "Alien". Instead of a dark and ominous ship we had a lovely, well-lit and spotless ship. Instead of a vicious beastie eating the crew we got a cute monster eating the actual ship. Instead of a man with a 'chest-burster' killing him we had a man giving birth to a baby. They even blew the beastie out of the airlock as happened in "Alien"... but I just found it bland and slightly boring.
I didn't mind it except that the Alien appeared to have wandered in from the set of "Monsters Inc"
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I didn't mind it except that the Alien appeared to have wandered in from the set of "Monsters Inc"
Come on Bruce, he was rather cute, but nasty.
How come you got that episode so soon?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree, it's not entertainment, I see it as pedalling a certain agenda. History such as Rosa Parks' Civil Rights campaign and the forthcoming story about the Indian partition should be taught in schools properly, not be trying to educate the populace of such histories masquerading under the guise of a frivolous TV show.
I am with you on this one, Judd.

Bring back the daleks and the cybermen!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Bring back the daleks and the cybermen!
I agree.

I'm sure it wasn't just my imagination, but wasn't there once what could be described as 'an obese Dalek'? Something sticks in my mind that it was originally created by Earthlings, but it went rogue.

Also, I have a feeling that the Cybermen gave rise to the much later Star Trek conception of the Borg.

See, we Brits come up with the big ideas and the Yanks take them over and spend lots of money developing them!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree.

I'm sure it wasn't just my imagination, but wasn't there once what could be described as 'an obese Dalek'? Something sticks in my mind that it was originally created by Earthlings, but it went rogue.

Also, I have a feeling that the Cybermen gave rise to the much later Star Trek conception of the Borg.

See, we Brits come up with the big ideas and the Yanks take them over and spend lots of money developing them!
You are correct, there was a type of obese Dalek or rather the creature inside the Dalek. It was using the Dalek's base to move around much like a motorised wheelchair.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You are correct, there was a type of obese Dalek or rather the creature inside the Dalek. It was using the Dalek's base to move around much like a motorised wheelchair.
That was Davros, wasn't it? The creator of the Daleks.

The one I'm thinking of was much bigger than a Dalek and almost spherical. It had a gun that was, I think, a flame thrower.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Come on Bruce, he was rather cute, but nasty.
How come you got that episode so soon?
As I understand it it goes to air Sunday night in the UK which would be very early Monday morning our time so they show it at 6pm Monday evening when there are some people to watch it.

One thing TV companies have discovered is that if Australians have to wait for a program after it is shown overseas they will just download it from the Internet so most popular shows are "fast tracked".

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/09/t...n-is-bullshit/

Interestingly, research conducted by CCA has shown that piracy has decreased in adults aged 18-64, from 29 per cent to 21 per cent, in the last three years. This is a significant drop off, that coincides with the release of affordable streaming services, like Netflix, Stan and Foxtel Now, which has given consumers the ability to readily access content, legally. In fact, CCA even report that legal alternatives are the major reason that consumers are pirating content less often – because the content is available online.

If you look at the data, the frequency with which pirates are downloading or illegally streaming TV shows significantly dropped since 2015, the pre-Netflix-era (down from 15% in 2015 to 12% in 2016). Curiously, movies did not see a significant drop off. One might infer that the access to movies in Australia is still lacking behind the US - things like the Lego Batman and John Wick 2 saga demonstrate that when content isn't delivered in a reasonable time frame, people are likely to go and pirate that content (you can see in the Gizmodo comments that many people did do just that!).
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 07:39 AM

Criticize Dr Who at your peril.The devotees are a fearsome lot.
I couldn't watch David Tennant,over acted and smug.Matt was a breath of fresh air for me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Criticize Dr Who at your peril.The devotees are a fearsome lot.
I couldn't watch David Tennant,over acted and smug.Matt was a breath of fresh air for me.
Tennant was not my favourite either. My favourite was Eccleston. I didn't like Smith either, I assumed he was just a terrible actor but have since seen him in 'The Crown' and have changed my mind.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-11-2018, 01:21 PM

My favourite was Tom Baker. He added a certain amount of quirky humour.
Of course, in those days Doctor Who was a children's science fiction programme.

Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top