Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 11:47 PM

Disc stuck in computer.

Yesterday I wanted to copy something onto a disc so I opened up the application 'Toast', halfway through the bloody thing stopped dead and recorded nothing, the disc wouldn't eject and the computer would not even shut down for me. I was at my wits end (as the King said when caught in a compromising situation with his Jester), however I held my sanity and struggled on, I looked up discs caught in computers on google and found an answer in a Macs forum. It said that when you've tried everything, try restarting the computer and keep the eject button held down in the process, walla! it worked, out came the offending disc and all was normal again, I inserted a new disc and got a successful recording. Just letting you know in case you get stuck, pardon the pun.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 11:51 PM

Re: Disc stuck in computer.

So a Mac came to the rescue of a PC ...... gotta be good!

Glad it's all sorted!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 01:10 AM

Glad you got it sorted
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 03:38 AM

Jemflux, Pleased to see you managed to solve the problem.

On the front of most disc drives there is a small hole which can be used to release the mechanism and eject the disc.
Use a strong piece of wire,ie, a paper clip, thin needle, shove it into the hole gentley and you will feel the catch restrict your movement of the clip, press a little harder and the mechanism moves and releases the disc.

The problem can be caused by the software getting caught in a loop, the computer looks for files and places to write them to. If the file is missing or the disc has some small damage to it the the computer keeps going round in circles looking for the file or place to write to.

I dont know about a Mac, but with windows if you press Ctrl,Alt, delete together the 'Task master' opens and you can stop the program running.

Just a bit of knowledge for the future.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Jemflux, Pleased to see you managed to solve the problem.

On the front of most disc drives there is a small hole which can be used to release the mechanism and eject the disc.
Use a strong piece of wire,ie, a paper clip, thin needle, shove it into the hole gentley and you will feel the catch restrict your movement of the clip, press a little harder and the mechanism moves and releases the disc.

The problem can be caused by the software getting caught in a loop, the computer looks for files and places to write them to. If the file is missing or the disc has some small damage to it the the computer keeps going round in circles looking for the file or place to write to.

I dont know about a Mac, but with windows if you press Ctrl,Alt, delete together the 'Task master' opens and you can stop the program running.

Just a bit of knowledge for the future.
That's really handy to know Antibrown, thanks......
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Grrr technology!!! I like my pc powered by a brace of gerbils.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks for that excellent tip AB.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the useful tips! They're worth knowing.

I'm a luddite when it comes to computer care.
The times I've felt like throwing mine out of the window.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top