Join for free
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 07:07 AM

Computer Scam

An old scam being re-run is where someone phones you up saying that you have a virus on your computer and asks you to phone them so that they can get rid of it for you. Two friends have recently had this happen to them and luckily they phoned me about it before they did as they were asked.

No-one will ever phone you to tell you that your computer is infected as no bank will ever phone you to ask you to update you security.

Just be very aware that other people do not know what is on your computer unless you tell them or let them into your computer.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Re: Computer Scam

IO have recently had emails from 'Windows Live Team' saying that they need to check my account, and that if I didn't reply with my details, i.e Password etc. then I would lose the account.
Needless to say I ignored it, was sent a reminder, which was ignored. Still have the account and no more communications from 'them'.

HSBC Bank are concerned about the security of my account and want my details, funny I dont have an account with HSBC Bank.

Abbey National are also concerned about the security of my account, oops, don't have an account with Abbey National.

have to say that these people really piss me off, and wish there was something I could do to get them back, like send a deadly virus to them.

So just be careful....................there are a lot of nasty people in this world.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by RockriderSpain ->
IO have recently had emails from 'Windows Live Team' saying that they need to check my account, and that if I didn't reply with my details, i.e Password etc. then I would lose the account.
Needless to say I ignored it, was sent a reminder, which was ignored. Still have the account and no more communications from 'them'.

HSBC Bank are concerned about the security of my account and want my details, funny I dont have an account with HSBC Bank.

Abbey National are also concerned about the security of my account, oops, don't have an account with Abbey National.

have to say that these people really piss me off, and wish there was something I could do to get them back, like send a deadly virus to them.

So just be careful....................there are a lot of nasty people in this world.

You get lots of Emails from all the banks asking you for your details, these are ficticious accounts and as such should be ignored.

Any new ones that I get from Banks etc I copy the addy and send it to the Bank concerned, ie, Barclys, HSBC, Natwest, etc so that they can look into who is pretending to be them. Most come from Nigeria.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Indeed, they can be a pain in the backside. I've never had anything like that sent by email to my home computer, but I've had them at work from Clydesdale Bank and E-bay asking me to update my account.

Sadly, there are still gullible folk out there that don't know they should be ignored.

Like Rock, I don't have accounts with these. At work, I also get emails from - me - with the exact same email address as mine. It's all rubbish and the amount of spam I get at work is startling. We do use the old-fashioned Outlook Express though for some strange reason.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 07:22 PM

I get e-mails like that frequently from phishers pretending to be one of my bank credit cards, Paypal, and other similar sites; I just forward them to the Abuse line of the real site and delete. Banks will not e-mail you for sensitive information nor threaten to cancel your account if you don't respond.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 08:09 PM

An old scam being re-run is where someone phones you up saying that you have a virus on your computer and asks you to phone them so that they can get rid of it for you. Two friends have recently had this happen to them and luckily they phoned me about it before they did as they were asked.
I would be totally mystified if I had a call like this, it is so implausible . I am amazed people are so gullable as to be taken in by this kind of thing
buddi bo
lincs
buddi bo is female  buddi bo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 10:18 PM

I get the PC scam calls , Just tell them i have a Mac and can not understand what they are on about , worked so far .
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2011, 12:50 AM

I have never had a phone call of this nature. I would strongly urge people to register with TPS so that they don't get spam callers to either landline or mobile phone. It's free, and it works.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top