Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Which mobile phone!

I'm fed up with my old brick of a phone. I fancy one of the smart phones that has a memory card for photo's so that I can transfer straight to my laptop. Has anyone got any useful tips on what is recommended or to be avoided.I am on pay as you so I am not wanting an all singing all dancing one that usually goes with a contract. Any suggestions please.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Re: Which mobile phone!

Sorry, can't help; I have a Samsung Jitterbug, the Old Folks Phone that is just a phone: not smart, doesn't take pics or connect to the Net; I have a camera and a desktop for those so never felt any need for a smart phone. Hope you get a reply soon... where are all the helpful techy people?
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Thanks for your reply dandysmom--I don't think us oldies have much interest in mobile phones in general.I have a Nokia that I have had for years. It does take a small amount of photos and video but I can't put anything on a computer so it's not all that good. My main interest is for one that transfers onto my laptop. I would like the convenience of one when out walking with Ruby. I often leave my camera at home because I don't like to carry to many things with me.The number of times I think that I would take a photo if I had a camera with me. I do take my phone in case of an emergency so if I had an updated one with a decent combined camera that allowed me to put them on a computer I am sure I would be more likely to take those shots I am missing. I have been studying a few reviews on the internet and I am interested in a few so I will read a bit more before I decide.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 02:10 PM

You only need a mobile that you can bluetooth data onto your machine from. Even if your machine doesnt have bluetooth you can get a tiny dongle for about £4 that will enable you to do so. You'll find pretty much all mobiles have the capability of doing much much more than any of us really require but they are obviously not compulsory features. You can use a data lead to do the transfers if you dont want to do the bluetooth bit although bluetooth is so easy it seems silly not to. As for models of phone that you might like... well decide on the network you want to be with and go into their store and tell the lad you're a beginner and you want to be helped!! explain that waffling on is pointless and you want sympathetic help and they will do so. If you dont understand some parts ask and if they go to fast say so! I understand the payg but you do realise that there's some contracts that are cheaper than payg that enable you to get a new phone every year or 18 months (depending on contract length) so you dont end up with a very old out of date phone in 3yrs and having to fork out lots of money for another payg. On contract you can get a nice phone free and pay less than £10 a month giving you talk time and a set number of txts plus the free phone. Now I appreciate you may not do txts or want to use it much for calls but its there should you wish and perhaps you may have made a tenner top up last over 4 weeks before but try to look at the whole package.
DO you know what network you'll be wanting to use?
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Another little tip Rueben, is to stick with Nokia. Simple and straighforward and it's what you're used to. I have mine on an 18 month contract and use it a lot so get my moneys worth, with a brand new phone every 18 months and get to keep the old one. Also qualified for a free laptop last year!
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Another little tip Rueben, is to stick with Nokia. Simple and straighforward and it's what you're used to. I have mine on an 18 month contract and use it a lot so get my moneys worth, with a brand new phone every 18 months and get to keep the old one. Also qualified for a free laptop last year!
Exactly!! and you're right Nokia are really good and the symbols are universal so no faffing about!! I had a samsung for a bit and its now in the drawer as it drove me scatty!! Im waiting for December when my contract is up and I can get a new one as my one on contract is a touchscreen and I hate it. I like the slide type with buttons as ive really long nails and they dont work on the touchscreen very well
rueben
lancs uk

06-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Thanks for that Cassie and maryl--It's the sort of opinion I was looking for.I had been looking on-line at some Samsung phones but I will look at Nokia again. If I used my mobile much it would make sense to go with a contract but to be honest as I rarely use my mobile phone I can't remember when I last topped it up. I even get a bit of an ear-bashing because I hardly ever have it turned on. I suppose mainly I would like one with a better camera incorporated into the phone and allows me to connect to my laptop. I'f I got another I would probably keep it for donkeys years. Could be a smart phone is too sophisticated for me as I am not thinking of using it for anything other than the occasional call or a bit of happy snapping.I'm going to have to do a bit more homework on what I actually do need . Thanks again.
Cassie
West Wales

06-08-2011, 04:45 PM

The thing is you're always going to get a better phone than you need!! They just come with all the gadgets these days. Nokia phones tend to have good cameras anyway. I understand exactly why you're happy with a payg too and im not trying to push the contract idea, just wondered if you realised what good deals you can get. With payg of course you'll have to buy the phone.. I dont know your budget but my mobile costs me £5 a month on contract and ive a £400 ish phone but if I had to get one on payg i'd probably only be able to spare about £50 so i'd end up with a pretty basic phone with a pretty useless camera. Thats all I was trying to explain
What network are you with?
rueben
lancs uk

06-08-2011, 05:10 PM

I understand where you are coming from Cassie. My son has a very nice smart phone on contract and he uses it for all sorts of things. He did say to me it isn't worth getting a smart phone if I use pay as you go and to make good use of one I should go with a contract. What I really need is a decent small camera with a basic mobile phone built in. I wouldn't rule anything out but I need to weigh up what I actually need for my uses. I am on Asda's network I think they are piggy-backing on Vodaphone's network.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 07:32 AM

I have just replaced my old phone, I didn't used to keep it turned on, only used it for emergencies, I bought a (don't quote me on this but it will look similar) Samsung Tocco Lite, it's a touch screen.

it's Pay as you go on the orange network. You can choose your package, just straight forward top up as needed, or if you top up certain amounts a month you get freebies, it could be free calls evenings and weekends or free texts, I have chosen £10 a month top up and get 200 free texts and internet connection, very useful for me when away caravanning. If you don't top up the amount or run out of credit you just lose your freebies. It does have a camera but I don't know how it would download to computer!

My phone is always on now, it has a good battery life, and I keep in touch with friends who I have always meant to call but didn't get around to it.

Just to add, I find it easier to use than my more basic phone!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top