Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 12:04 PM

I Think I’ve Made A Huge Mistake, Getting Sky Q.

Do you remember recently, l started a thread in this section asking for advice about recording boxes and you were all very kind and gave me great advice.

I went to Curry’s to look at the Humax recording units. A Technical man there gave me great advice but advised me to go back to Sky and negotiate for a better deal.
He said, for the same price (£210) that l would pay for the Humax box, l could have Sky for quite a while plus more channels and peace of mind, if the box went wrong.
This l did and again they quoted silly prices. I asked to be put through to the ‘Cancellation’ Dept and of course they offer everything to keep you.

After much bartering, l got the Sky Q box, a new Sky dish and installation for a one off payment of £20. I got the basic Sky entertainment pack for £10 a month.
On Saturday, the new Q box and dish were installed but l don’t like the set up or the picture quality l had with my Sky plus box.
Worse than anything is, l have televisions in every room and none of them work anymore. The screen states, ‘No aerial signal’.
I rang Sky yesterday, and was told to change the resolution to 720 but the picture seems dark and after a while my eyes go funny and sort of strained! It is a Panasonic Plasma tv, the picture is usually brilliant but now dull and not vibrant anymore.
They are sending an engineer out in May and l will have the option of going back to my old Sky plus box or l suppose, just keeping the Sky Q box and no television in any other room.
Multi room box was offered at an extra £13 a month but that’s ridiculous.

Any advice would be appreciated. I hate all this worry, of thinking what l should do.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Re: I Think I’ve Made A Huge Mistake, Getting Sky Q.

How were the other televisions connected to your old Sky box?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
How were the other televisions connected to your old Sky box?
Ray, I am not sure. Maybe, the normal digital aerial was connected to the old dish?
I have heard words like LNB and the new dish doesn’t have one of these.
I just thought my televisions would be connected to the normal aerial and l would receive the signal from there via the aerial socket in the wall?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Do you remember recently, l started a thread in this section asking for advice about recording boxes and you were all very kind and gave me great advice.

I went to Curry’s to look at the Humax recording units. A Technical man there gave me great advice but advised me to go back to Sky and negotiate for a better deal.
He said, for the same price (£210) that l would pay for the Humax box, l could have Sky for quite a while plus more channels and peace of mind, if the box went wrong.
This l did and again they quoted silly prices. I asked to be put through to the ‘Cancellation’ Dept and of course they offer everything to keep you.

After much bartering, l got the Sky Q box, a new Sky dish and installation for a one off payment of £20. I got the basic Sky entertainment pack for £10 a month.
On Saturday, the new Q box and dish were installed but l don’t like the set up or the picture quality l had with my Sky plus box.
Worse than anything is, l have televisions in every room and none of them work anymore. The screen states, ‘No aerial signal’.
I rang Sky yesterday, and was told to change the resolution to 720 but the picture seems dark and after a while my eyes go funny and sort of strained! It is a Panasonic Plasma tv, the picture is usually brilliant but now dull and not vibrant anymore.
They are sending an engineer out in May and l will have the option of going back to my old Sky plus box or l suppose, just keeping the Sky Q box and no television in any other room.
Multi room box was offered at an extra £13 a month but that’s ridiculous.

Any advice would be appreciated. I hate all this worry, of thinking what l should do.
I feel exhaused just reading your post Art, sorry I can't offer any advice. I will stick to one television and a Humax box
Ray Cathode
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 12:39 PM

For some reason I can't quote posts in some threads despite being logged in, Very annoying.

"I just thought my televisions would be connected to the normal aerial and l would receive the signal from there via the aerial socket in the wall"

I agree, sounds like the Sky engineer has disconnected the co-axial aerial cable from the wall.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 12:53 PM

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your choice Art. It's always difficult deciding on something like this because despite any advice you get, in the back of your mind, you know that it is always about the company extorting as much money out of you as possible.

Is SkyQ the one with voice control?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Yep also agree.

Your ordinary terrestrial TV reception has absolutely nothing to do with a Sky box. Terrestial TV (freeview etc) requires an ordinary TV aerial up on the roof pointing towards your nearest transmitter station.

Sky uses a satellite dish pointing "up" into space and uses a different cable.

If your terrestrial TV is no longer working it means they have unplugged something that you previous had in place.

If you have TV's in every room them I am guessing that you must have somewhere a "signal booster" box. I use one of these to get a great signal.

Some simple questions.

1) what is plugged into the back of each of your TVs?
Do they each have an aerial cable going into the back of them or do they have some kind of wireless device plugged into them?

2) You will only have one terrestrial TV aerial on your roof and there will only be one cable coming from it. So if you have TV's in every room that means that somewhere that single aerial cable is being split into lots of other separate cables, with one leading to each TV. Do you know where that point is? Are you aware of any aerial box where the main aerial cable from the roof goes in, and where a load of other cables come out?

3) What TV were you previously watching? Was it Freeview?
If so you MUST have had a Freeview digi box of some kind to decode the aerial signal. Where is that digi box now? Is it still plugged in?

All in all I think you will regret buying Sky. Engineers will be concerned with making your Sky box working. They won't have any jurisdiction over anything else you have.

With Sky you have no idea what service you are paying for which is why I have always refused to have it. By this I mean, whilst you know you have bought a basic package, there is absolutely no guarantee what is transmitted in the basic package. Today it could be Sky A, B, C channels. Tomorrow Murdock can (and probably will) change it to something else. That means if you bought a package thinking you'd get programs A,B and C you could find they move to other channels tomorrow which are no longer covered by your package. THAT is how Sky get you from the basic package to the crazy situation of paying £30-£80 per month for other packages.

All depends what you want though. I stick with Freeview and whilst it has nothing like the breadth of content that Sky does it is free. I have no monthly charges at all. zero.

Horses for courses.
Ray Cathode

23-04-2019, 01:04 PM

Some of the older Sky Plus HD boxes have a TV Out socket which you can use to feed other TVs but the new Sky Q boxes don't.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky box connections.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	9369  
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-04-2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Some of the older Sky Plus HD boxes have a TV Out socket which you can use to feed other TVs but the new Sky Q boxes don't.

Ray, I think this must be the problem.
Here are sketchy bits of what l remember and know.

When the original Sky dish was fitted for Sky plus. It had a quad LNB. Chris my ex partner, fitted two extra leads to the dish to allow an older Skybox to work in another room. It had no card in it.
Later we had an extra bedroom and kitchen/lounge extension built and all had a tv aerial socket fitted.
The builders put a ? booster box in the loft, so that same channel Sky could be played on the tv in the kitchen. I could get Sky news on the tv in the bedroom, without a Sky box if that is a clue?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ray, I think this must be the problem.
Here are sketchy bits of what l remember and know.

When the original Sky dish was fitted for Sky plus. It had a quad LNB. Chris my ex partner, fitted two extra leads to the dish to allow an older Skybox to work in another room. It had no card in it.
Later we had an extra bedroom and kitchen/lounge extension built and all had a tv aerial socket fitted.
The builders put a ? booster box in the loft, so that same channel Sky could be played on the tv in the kitchen. I could get Sky news on the tv in the bedroom, without a Sky box if that is a clue?
You are getting confused here between Sky and Freview.

Sky is Sky. You cannot watch anything from Sky unless the signal is first decoded/unscrambled through a Sky Box.

Sky News is a channel on Terrestrial Freeview TV. It's not Sky as such, it's a free channel.

I figured you would have a booster box hence my earlier questions.

In order for people to help you we need to understand what you want to achieve in your home.

Do you want:

1) All TV's to just be able to see the Sky Box channels

2) Some TV's to see only Sky and some to see only Freeview?

3) All TV's to be able to show both Sky and Freeview?

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top