Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 09:58 PM

A donkey's plight

I have loved donkeys all my life, so feel so very sad to see what miserable lives and miserable deaths so many of these poor creatures have to endure at the hands of man - yet again.

I say this because of the sheer number being killed for their skins, as well as the thousands of others who are simply worked to death - literally.

I think the Donkey Sanctuary do marvellous work rescuing so many of these poor creatures, and I hope this link will be of interest to anyone interested in knowing more or helping out in any way they can.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/news
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 11:50 PM

Re: A donkey's plight

Must agree with you ,Mups. Many have a terrible life. SPANA are out in the field and provide help, medicine and education . The worst problem is the growing market for donkey skins, which is pretty widespread in Africa . Not only an horrific act, but once again the Chinese are at the back of it for medicines !
Only a few days ago there were images of one little donkey being forced into the back of a lorry in Kenya. They must get badly hurt too.

The other problem is that these donkeys are being stolen from the people who need them most.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 07:35 AM

It so true donkeys have a terrible life
And they are such intelligent little creatures
A country can be judged on how it treats its animals ( mahatma Ghandi )
Incidentally I support the Brooke hospital which like Spana does steering work for horses and donkeys .

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Good on you Puddles and Muddy.

The Sanctuary link I provided explains about the skin trade, and it is unbelievably vile.

Many of the donkeys are not even fed or watered, as they don't want the meat, they are only interested in getting their skin off.

Once again, it down to humans and their insatiable greed for money. These people can have no emotion, or conscience whatsoever.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Nice to see a few more people who are concerned about
the lives of animals that are unfortunate enough to be
used as beasts of burden by human beings!
There is nothing wrong with using animals for work, in fact
most animals enjoy doing a job!
But sadly they are often overworked and underfed by their
owners! And their working conditions need strict regulation!
This is difficult on a world wide scale!
It seems that any attempts to enforce regulations is left to
volunteers such as you have posted on the forum.
Can these groups be co-ordinated world wide to be more
effective?
I dont know?

Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 01:37 PM

We visited our local Donkey sanctuary last weekend Mups. It's great to see them so relaxed and happy to receive a bit of fuss from the public. They all look so well looked after. It was combined with a dog show which was great fun.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 02:16 PM

The lady I worked for adopted Abigale from the sanctuary at Sidmouth, she was hard work .

I have told the story before about when I lived in Lancashire and tied Abi up to give her a bath (to prevent lice).
Somehow she pulled free and shot down the lane and onto the road covered in shampoo.
I ran behind her trying to catch up and she ran straight through the half barrier at Pilkingtons Glass Research Laboratory where I could not follow

I felt such a fool, the Security Guard came and accompanied me to where Abi was calmly eating the flower beds. By this time hundreds of office staff were watching from the windows.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 04:02 PM

I live in the New Forest and here there are lots of donkeys roaming free. The thing that amuses many of we living here are the attempts made by some people to get them to move off a road. Ponies and cattle will stand in the middle of the road and if a car wants to pass, wind down the window and bang on the side of the door. This is usually enough to get them to move out of the way but if a donkey decides to stand in the middle of the road there is no amount of banging and cursing will make it move. If it wants to stay put it will stay put and the motorist will have to find a way around it. I have seen people get out of their cars and try pushing it, slapping it on it,s rear, shouting. clapping their hands to frighten it but all to no avail. "If I want to stand in the middle of the road then I will stand in the middle of the road". Wonderful animals!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-05-2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I live in the New Forest and here there are lots of donkeys roaming free. The thing that amuses many of we living here are the attempts made by some people to get them to move off a road. Ponies and cattle will stand in the middle of the road and if a car wants to pass, wind down the window and bang on the side of the door. This is usually enough to get them to move out of the way but if a donkey decides to stand in the middle of the road there is no amount of banging and cursing will make it move. If it wants to stay put it will stay put and the motorist will have to find a way around it. I have seen people get out of their cars and try pushing it, slapping it on it,s rear, shouting. clapping their hands to frighten it but all to no avail. "If I want to stand in the middle of the road then I will stand in the middle of the road". Wonderful animals!

Aah, don't you just luv 'em, Ben.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-05-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The lady I worked for adopted Abigale from the sanctuary at Sidmouth, she was hard work .

I have told the story before about when I lived in Lancashire and tied Abi up to give her a bath (to prevent lice).
Somehow she pulled free and shot down the lane and onto the road covered in shampoo.
I ran behind her trying to catch up and she ran straight through the half barrier at Pilkingtons Glass Research Laboratory where I could not follow

I felt such a fool, the Security Guard came and accompanied me to where Abi was calmly eating the flower beds. By this time hundreds of office staff were watching from the windows.

Hah, I'd like to have seen that, Meg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top