Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Re: Bitten

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
That would tick me off also.
I’m not sure what the laws are in the UK but here dog owners are responsible for their dogs. If she is caring for it, then she is responsible.

Here, if you had gone into the doctors office to have it looked at then , by law, the doctor has to let you know that it is an assault which may need to be reported. Of course you don’t want to get your friend into trouble but if that dog bit a child, the parents might not be so forgiving.

Your friend should be very thankful that you are so forgiving because she could in actuality get charged.

Yes,I agree,she must have apologised about fifty times,..I think she knew,what you have said.

I never knew that,so thank you for the information,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
On the back of my leg,by a chihuahua,it crept up behind me at my friends house,it isn't her dog,

She looks after dogs,while the owners go on holiday.

It really hurt and is quite bruised,I wonder why it did that,?

I don't blame the dog,I just wonder how the owners treat it as a pet.

My chihuahua is the complete opposite and doesn't look,anything like the chihuahua at my friends,I know there are different breeds,this one was very,very tiny,with very short hair,brown in colour.
Hi Pauline firstly the little dog is not in her own home with her owner, dogs like familiarity and routine it gives them a sense of being safe and secure.

My guess is the little dog was fearful, you presented a threat in some way so if felt the need to defend itself . You would also carry the scent of another unfamiiar dog, more reason for it to feel wary of you.

The little dog would be better put in another room when there are visitors , if it was staying with your friend for any length of time desensitisation techniques could be used but that needs to be done slowly.

Make sure the wound is washed with antiseptic, dogs mouths are full of bacteria. You should also check you are up to date with tetanus injection.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Yes,I agree,she must have apologised about fifty times,..I think she knew,what you have said.

I never knew that,so thank you for the information,
Well this is good. This wasn’t apparent at first.
So you were both good sports about it.
I agree with Meg. The dog didn’t know you and felt threatened. Since this isn’t this women’s dog and she is unsure how it will respond to others, the dog would be best off placed elsewhere while people visit
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Pauline firstly the little dog is not in her own home with her owner, dogs like familiarity and routine it gives them a sense of being safe and secure.

My guess is the little dog was fearful, you presented a threat in some way so if felt the need to defend itself . You would also carry the scent of another unfamiiar dog, more reason for it to feel wary of you.

The little dog would be better put in another room when there are visitors , if it was staying with your friend for any length of time desensitisation techniques could be used but that needs to be done slowly.

Make sure the wound is washed with antiseptic, dogs mouths are full of bacteria. You should also check you are up to date with tetanus injection.

Ok,Meg,thank you,never looked at it like that,..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

07-06-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Well this is good. This wasn’t apparent at first.
So you were both good sports about it.
I agree with Meg. The dog didn’t know you and felt threatened. Since this isn’t this women’s dog and she is unsure how it will respond to others, the dog would be best off placed elsewhere while people visit
I agree,..
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Pauline Chihuahuas are notorious bitters .
They are generally bad tempered neurotic little yappers .
And who wouldn't be being tiny in a giants world ?
Ankle biters my sister calls them.
One of them attacked my 40 kg dog. He pretty much ignored it but the little blighter persisted and followed Max until we got home. I think Max eventually had had enough, turned round, growled it and gave it that collie stare. It got the message and buggered off.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 05:44 PM

Maybe collies attract them .
Poor Mungo has been attacked by them and he never retaliates .He doesn't even seem to notice .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Maybe collies attract them .
Poor Mungo has been attacked by them and he never retaliates .He doesn't even seem to notice .
Max pretty much ignores them too. And big dogs as well.
I think a lot of it is how they are treated. I had a dog much like the one I have now. One new year's eve, we visited friends. They have the brother of my dog. Looked the same. Twins actually.

I was seated in an armchair, their dog by my side. I leaned over to stroke it. It bit me. How could they be so different?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 06:16 PM

The thing is,..I was no where near it,in other words the giant was no where near it,i..

I tell you what,it flippen well hurt,

I was shocked,more than anything,I hadn't a clue it was behind me,

My chihuahua is nothing like that,I remember the vet telling me,that some people treat them like children,when they should be treated like a dog,oh well,each to their own.

Pauline, is this dog sitter friend of yours insured to take other people's dogs in?
This is the very reason why she should be registered and insured if she is doing this work.
Supposing the bad tempered little rat-bag bit a child's face, as that would be very reachable?

Others have said it felt threatened, but why?
What were you doing that could have upset it?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

07-06-2019, 07:02 PM

I did ask her,on arrival if she was insured and licensed,she said yes.

Any way Ellen has a bad back and I helped her with all her hoovering today,

I started in the kitchen,got a bit fed up,because it started to follow me around,and it was getting in my way.

I asked Ellen if she could keep it out of my way,so she shut the door and kept the dog in the sitting room.

when I had finished the kitchen,Hatty the dog and Carol went into the kitchen with Ellen,the door was open,..the dog was far away from me in the kitchen,..as I walked to the stairs from the sitting room,the next thing I knew it bit the back of my leg,it flippen well hurt,it bruised straight away,so it must have crept up on me from the kitchen,..I did make a fuss and showed Carol,Ellen my leg,she was very apologetic,told it off in a nice kind voice,picked it up, then kissed it...then held it like a baby,for the remainder of my time there,

I have started to help Ellen once a month,she also had a jack Russell there,not one peep.

Another thing I had forgot to mention,Carol told me it had bit her,but I didn't think she was being serious.
Obviously she was being serious.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top