Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Shocking!

When we saw our second grandson (14) on Sunday, he told us that many of the kids in his form at school smoked cannabis. He said he thought they were crazy, and it could lead on to harder drugs, as well as being damaged by the cannabis itself. Thank goodness the lad has his brain in gear where drugs are concerned.

I am of the opinion that drug tests should take place on a regular basis at schools, especially if there is any suspicion a child is taking them, and drastic action taken. Drugs ruin lives.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Re: Shocking!

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
When we saw our second grandson (14) on Sunday, he told us that many of the kids in his form at school smoked cannabis. He said he thought they were crazy, and it could lead on to harder drugs, as well as being damaged by the cannabis itself. Thank goodness the lad has his brain in gear where drugs are concerned.

I am of the opinion that drug tests should take place on a regular basis at schools, especially if there is any suspicion a child is taking them, and drastic action taken. Drugs ruin lives.
We know that children and young adults are taking drugs on a regular basis at the school where I work Tara.
If they aren't taking or dealing them on the premises there is nothing we can do.
We can advise, keep them informed but at the end of the day their lifestyle is their choice.
Testing them would make no difference whatsoever.
In private schools I'm told, the problem is far worse
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
We know that children and young adults are taking drugs on a regular basis at the school where I work Tara.
If they aren't taking or dealing them on the premises there is nothing we can do.
We can advise, keep them informed but at the end of the day their lifestyle is their choice.
Testing them would make no difference whatsoever.
In private schools I'm told, the problem is far worse
It isn't their choice when they are kids, besides which, it is illegal, and the police should be involved. If any of mine had taken drugs I would have frogmarched them to the police station in the hopes the police would have frightened the living daylights out of them, as well as prosecuted the dealers.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
It isn't their choice when they are kids, besides which, it is illegal, and the police should be involved. If any of mine had taken drugs I would have frogmarched them to the police station in the hopes the police would have frightened the living daylights out of them, as well as prosecuted the dealers.
Hi

What Police, they have been decimated.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:50 PM

All we can do is teach them the dangers aren't equal to the pleasures for many of these drugs.

I've always found apart from a dabble in weed mind have been relatively sensible, neither of the boys did it for long and they both gave up drinking too so are pretty level headed really. Just got to convince grace she is ok without any enhancements like that.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 02:09 PM

All that can be done is to try to educate them of the dangers.

Peer pressure plays a part too, especially at school.
Drugs are rife and the dealers like to start them young and once the drugs take a hold sometimes it's too late to frogmarch them anywhere.

Having a good brain does not necessarily mean they will avoid the temptations of drugs or drink for that matter.
I know a very well educated young man who died last year from both drugs and drink. He left a young son behind.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 02:29 PM

Very true Mesco, many seem to start with stuff pinched from parents too, the bottle of voddie or gin. Not being drinkers ourselves we just don't have that temptation at home. I remember eldest once said because we didn't have drink at home it stopped her drinking because she couldn't afford to buy it, her friends drank because they could get it free.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 03:44 PM

Perhaps its upto the Schools, perhaps they should put a video on showing the children what happens to your brain if you use drugs, try and frighten them, nothing else can be done.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Perhaps its upto the Schools, perhaps they should put a video on showing the children what happens to your brain if you use drugs, try and frighten them, nothing else can be done.
I was just about to say something along these lines too.
I don't know what the school syllabus is at the moment for secondary education, but the government should perhaps encourage more in the way of "life experience" topics such as telling the kids about the dangers of drug use and so on, and make it hard-hitting with demonstative videos etc.

It's alright to learn about tangents and logarithms but they are pretty useless for the world at work and living your life. Perhaps some of this should even start in primary schooling, maybe in Year 6 or so?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Actually there is plenty of research proving that shock tactics don't work as far as drug use is concerned although its true the best way of treating it is to prevent it in the first place.

There is no evidence to say precisely what does or doesn't work however its thought that extra curricular activities in schools, more investment in sports clubs and the like and reopening youth clubs are the best form of prevention for young people.

The government know this the evidence is there funded by the tax payer, but of course implementing those recommendations is very expensive... so it doesn't happen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top