Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 05:27 PM

Re: Foolproof Microwave Poached Egg.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Also guilty as charged here! I wonder what happens if you put 2 in at once.
I nearly did that, as ended up having 2. The 2nd one I put in a ramekin, with just a little water and it cooked really fast, but was slightly overcooked.
I will experiment with times, but do the 2nd way in future. Totally hassle free brunch!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 05:13 AM

I just use an egg poaching pan - boring perhaps - but it works perfectly!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I just use an egg poaching pan - boring perhaps - but it works perfectly!
Years and years ago, I was watching a cookery programme, and the chefs said that a poaching pan did not poach the egg, but steamed it.

To be poached, they said, the egg has to be immersed in water itself, not by proxy in a little metal container!

It was the first time I'd ever seen an egg being poached by immersing it in hot water!
They also demonstrated how hard it was to poach properly, without the white going all over the place.

Poaching really seemed to take off when they started making the "Four in a bed" programmes, as the "guests" always seem to ask for a poached egg, to test their hosts to the limit, and then were very scathing of the results!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Years and years ago, I was watching a cookery programme, and the chefs said that a poaching pan did not poach the egg, but steamed it.

To be poached, they said, the egg has to be immersed in water itself, not by proxy in a little metal container!

It was the first time I'd ever seen an egg being poached by immersing it in hot water!
They also demonstrated how hard it was to poach properly, without the white going all over the place.

Poaching really seemed to take off when they started making the "Four in a bed" programmes, as the "guests" always seem to ask for a poached egg, to test their hosts to the limit, and then were very scathing of the results!
Well - in which case - why are they called 'egg poachers' and not 'egg steamers' ? Anyway - call it what you will - mine works and the eggs taste delicious - so I will stick with it.

Going to have to go and cook some now!!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 05:56 AM

Well - in which case - why are they called 'egg poachers' and not 'egg steamers' ? Anyway - call it what you will - mine works and the eggs taste delicious - so I will stick with it.

Going to have to go and cook some now!!
Dunno!
Before that programme, I never knew there was any other way of poaching, other than using the poaching pan.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

26-05-2019, 06:09 AM

Dunno!
Before that programme, I never knew there was any other way of poaching, other than using the poaching pan.
As long as the taste is right I don't supposed it matters.
Pyxell
South of England

26-05-2019, 07:22 AM

As long as the taste is right I don't supposed it matters.
You're right!

Some chefs are too purist, maybe.

I suppose the appearance would be different, but I wonder if, in a taste test, they'd know the difference between a 'poached' egg and a 'steamed' egg?

I suppose it's a bit like the difference between poaching fish or cooking it en papillotte?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 09:54 AM

I suppose a TV Chef's version would be to crack the egg with the shell of a Rhinoceros beetle imported from the rainforest, tip the egg into the rarest boiling spring water from Peru, add a splash of 20 year old Banda Rossa Balsamic vinegar whilst standing on a shabby chic step ladder. Cook for 8.2 seconds and serve on a bed of African coal.

Yours for £385

Pyxell
South of England

26-05-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose a TV Chef's version would be to crack the egg with the shell of a Rhinoceros beetle imported from the rainforest, tip the egg into the rarest boiling spring water from Peru, add a splash of 20 year old Banda Rossa Balsamic vinegar whilst standing on a shabby chic step ladder. Cook for 8.2 seconds and serve on a bed of African coal.

Yours for £385

Don't forget you have to eat it using a rare pigmy abalone shell from Tonga.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Don't forget you have to eat it using a rare pigmy abalone shell from Tonga.
I forgot about that. That's why I'll never make it as a chef.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top