Join for free
allottment
warwickshire
allottment is female  allottment has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 07:56 PM

crafts

i volunteer at a hospice day-centre doing activities with the patients and im running out of craft ideas todo ,be gratefui for any ideas thankyou.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 08:50 PM

Re: crafts

Does it depend on cost ,or how able a person is ,?
A walk round Hobbycraft store may give you some fresh ideas ..i enjoyed Embroidery and found it very satisfying when it was complete,Felt is only 50p a square and flower broches can be made for ladies. , and with christmas not to far off what about Christmas Stockings ,and christmas tree decorations,,
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 10:42 PM

I make little decoupage boxes. You can buy them very cheaply from discount stores usually in packs of 3, different shapes. They're just plain cardboard. I use my own photos or craft paper, sheet music (scanned), you could use old magazines. You just glue small pieces all over the box with PVA glue, varnish with another couple of layers, add some bits of ribbon,lace and sticky gems, buttons etc. paint the inside with acrylic paint which dries quickly & Bob's you're uncle!

Or you could do some book altering, get some old paperback books, fold the pages into different shapes etc.
Lots of ideas for this on the internet.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
paint the inside with acrylic paint which dries quickly & Bob's your uncle!.
I don't want an Uncle named Bob

The boxes look very nice but what do you do with the paperbacks with folded pages?

There are some people at my seniors club that collect birthday and Christmas cards (just the fronts) which they use for some craft at the local hospital, I think it involves a lot of cutting out and sticking on.

Welding is the nearest I have got to a craft but I admire the craft displays at the local Ag Show each year you people must have the patience of a saint.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Making corn dollies can be fun and they make lovely gifts Lots of instructions on the net about making them and suppliers of straw like this one..

http://www.simplystraw.co.uk/supplies.htm
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 01:10 PM

have a look at this website:
www.craftster.org

It's on Twitter and Pinterest too, if you use those. More ideas than you could ever imagine!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 12:59 AM

Here's what you can do with books https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Al...gegC&ved=0CCIQ Wish I could weld! All those Steampunk weapons and accessories, not to mention garden ornaments! Just acquired an engine part to turn into a lamp, somehow!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 01:46 AM

Here's what you can do with books https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Al...gegC&ved=0CCIQ Wish I could weld! All those Steampunk weapons and accessories, not to mention garden ornaments! Just acquired an engine part to turn into a lamp, somehow!
Thanks for that.

A friend gave us (when I was married) a book with our photos on the open pages. It also seemed to involve a lot of varnish and stood in one of those plate stands, at the time I was quite impressed.

As for welding I used to be pretty good at it 20 years ago, being a craft you have to keep doing it to maintain your skills, after a long gap I had another go at it a couple of years ago and did a beautiful weld, straight and neat, still had the knack, the only problem was that it was about a centimetre from the joint it was supposed to be joining - I hadn't allowed for my deteriorating eyes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

04-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Is there a "small" welding tool? I often find I need to join metal for jewelry or props, superglue just isn't strong enough, I'm not sure solder would look very tidy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

05-09-2014, 02:13 AM

Is there a "small" welding tool? I often find I need to join metal for jewelry or props, superglue just isn't strong enough, I'm not sure solder would look very tidy.
Actually soldering done properly should look very neat because like brazing it flows (aided by the flux) to provide a smooth finish. It is not as strong as brazing or welding but requires the least heat (being mostly lead and tin (from memory) and is relatively soft - sometimes called soft soldering.

There is silver soldering but really that is brazing because it occurs at quite a high temp.

However I am not an expert on this when used for hobby purposes - not that I am an expert on the more industrial aspects but I do know more about that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top