Join for free
Page 11 of 190 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 10:44 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Entry:-020315
Having been an engineer for most of my adult life, the workings of the Internal Combustion Engine has been an area of fascination and interest for me, and consequently, I have worked; quite extensively on, said engines. Very rarely have their workings been beyond my capability to repair. But this morning, my five year old Nissan Qashqai refused to start. I had to bite the bullet and call my local garage for assistance....... Bugger.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 12:01 PM

Entry:-030315
Just a quick blog this morning as our neighbours are already revving their car up to take us to the cinema at Meadowhall. I do not make a very good back seat driver, and in the absence of my vehicle, we have accepted their kind offer of a ride out.
'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2' After having recently watched the first one, we are looking forward to the second, stand by for reports.....

This mornings run was a laboured affair, The cold breeze must have come straight from the Arctic, but it didn't put me off. However, I think the extra couple of miles I've been running on a Sunday might be responsible for my lack luster run this morning. I felt very good afterwards, and at 50:24 it was one of my fastest runs this year, but the legs were tired and no amount of coaxing would step up the pace...
You know how it is when you just don't feel right......
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Anzac,Thanks for your compliments, and glad you are enjoying my writing.
I try to keep it fresh and interesting.
Cairns are often placed on high points but mainly to mark out a route and as an aid to navigation. They would sometimes identify a particular spot or as a memorial.
They would be built by anyone passing that way, and each time a walker would pass by, they would add another few stones, so some cairns are very large indeed.
Triangulation Pillars [Trig Points] were constructed by Ordnance Survey specifically to map the country. An instrument similar to a 'theodolite' would be placed on a special fitting on top of every Trig Point, and was used to calculate distance and height. This has since been replaced by Lasers.

Bird, Thanks for your interest in Trig Points. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate one in the Flamborough area; However, I have successfully located one North of Scarborough at grid Ref SE990966 should your map reading be a little rusty you will find it thus:- Take the Whitby road [A171] North out of Scarborough, pass through Cloughton, and after passing Cloughton woods on the left, you will arrive at a left turn [about two miles out of Cloughton] Take the left turn and stop immediately. Inside the small triangle made by the two roads you will find the Trig Point. Good hunting....

I've copied that OGF for next time I'm out that way. Thanks so much for taking the time to find this Trig Point, I'm actually getting quite curious about them now !!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:22 PM

Hope you got your car working again OGF, so frustrating when you can normally tackle these jobs yourself. We have a son in the motor trade so when he can't resolve a car problem he usually knows a man who can !!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Hi Robert, I did post pics of our walk on the photographs thread. Our walk was great on Saturday. Only three of us. Myself,partner and my son. Drove to Rob Roy's grave at Balquidder. Then followed the Kirkton Glen path from there. It was a ascent from the bottom of the path. On a pine needle covered path which looked like a red carpet. There were exceptionally tame robins who came right up to us. I've never known a robin to come so close. We got pics, but unfortunately did not have a scrap to feed them. It was a winding path, with dense trees on either side. At that point you could not see anything outwith the trees, but there was promise that once you reached the summit the view would be spectacular, and it was. We turned into the Clan Maclaren ground and at the top the view was spectacular. Also there was snow around us. A bit tricky climbing up to the top of the summit, but my son's helping hands got us there. We stood at the top and admired the view for a while. It was too lovely to dismiss shortly. We then started our descent, meeting a family with their dogs on the way. I will do that walk again. The view at the top is one to be admired more than once.

Our walk this Saturday is a flatter walk, Glengarnock to Lochwinnoch, 7 miles, but with our group and lots of banter and fellowship. I'm looking forward to it already, especially as I haven't done this walk before and it's apparently to be 15 degrees
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-03-2015, 10:00 PM

Entry:-030315 Cont......
Myra, You must have been posting your photos for quite some time, I didn't realise; I was really impressed, you have certainly covered some ground. That viewpoint you visited on Saturday's walk is outstanding, you did well to climb that.
I hope the weather is kind to you on this Saturday.

Val, I shall investigate that Trig Point myself when I next visit the area, good hunting. Glad to see you are Val again....

'The Second Best Marigold Hotel' was even better than the first, I'm already looking forward to the third and fourth, I will be so disappointed if they don't make any more. I didn't realise that the more mature woman was still interested in such raunchy behaviour! I guess I must be too naive.

I felt a vibration in my trousers while watching the film, and it wasn't till after that I realised it was my mobile phone: the garage was ringing to tell me the car was repaired and waiting for collection: So after Tea and Lemon Drizzle Cake in M&S we made a quick dash for home and made it just as they were locking up.
OGF is back on the road!!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Walking with the bike was so successful on the Cuckoo Way, I decided to try it on some other linear walks. Here is my report on the Beverley 20 undertaken on 26th April 2013.

THE BEVERLEY FIFTEEN AND THREE QUARTERS
Today’s excursion is the Beverley 20, but because the first part of the path from the Humber Bridge to North Ferriby is closed, we’ll call it the Beverley Fifteen and and Three Quarters. I had planned to park the car at the Tesco in Beverley, but upon reading the sign which foretold of impending doom to anyone who used the facility for more than three hours, I hastily purchased my Cornish Pasty, and Mars bar, and made a run for it. I would finish the walk at Beverley Minster, so I cruised that area to find a suitable parking spot, alas, the very narrow streets, and the copious use of yellow paint made it a no go area. A sign directed me to the Leisure Centre, which I though would be an excellent place to leave the car, as I was pursuing a leisure activity, but five pounds for four hours was not only beyond my means, but I’d be lucky to complete the round trip by bus in four hours. So necessity led me to an out of town location, which, if my map reading was to be relied upon, would be on my route to the Minster near the end of my walk, and if I was tired, could call it a day here.
I was soon cycling the undulating route from Beverley to North Ferriby, someone decided that today would be the day they would resurface the A164, and after filling it with bollards and heavy machinery, set about the task of ripping up the surface of the road, which made cycling difficult and dangerous. Despite this I arrived safely at the Railway Station in North Ferriby, and selected a suitable post to shackle the bike. I had decided to wear shorts, and although the weather was sunny, the wind was on the chilly side, but my legs will look nice in golden brown on the Keswick Half next week. The paths were dry and firm, except for the scramble along the foreshore of the river Humber, fortunately it’s only for a couple of hundred yards and then onto a beautiful forest track that gradually climbs up past Welton to the open farmland of the Wolds and on the the picturesque village of Skidby. A short climb out of Skidby and you get your first glimpse of Beverley Minster in the distance. I was soon stood waiting to cross the busy A164 complete with roadwork’s, traffic was still queuing, but at least it did make it easier to cross. The A1079 however is not as easy, you have to walk a good mile in the wrong direction before arriving at a footbridge, but when you see the traffic below on this main artery into Hull, you realise that it was worth the walk. The sun was beating down, as I crossed the road in Beverley, and realised it was the road where the car was parked, the Minster was in my grasp, no easy way out for me, I thought, as I ignored the comfort of the car in order to complete my pilgrimage to the Minster’s gate. With this thought on my mind, I went on to get hopelessly lost on a new housing estate. It was only by seeking assistance from some bloke cutting his grass, that I could unravel the complexities of this un-navigable brick jungle, and I came out on a road across from the gates of the Minster. I swigged back was was left of my orange juice, arrived back at the car, and took my place in the traffic queue on the A164 I had walked past earlier, It was unavoidable, as I had to recover my bike, which was still chained up to the station railings at North Ferriby.

Always risky leaving the bike....

Along the river bank and through the woods....

Getting warm; don't know why I came out blurred using the timer........must have been going too fast......

Don't you just want to follow that path....

Almost there, Beverley Minster in the distance....

The end, now a walk back to the car and see if the bike's still there......

Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2015, 09:58 PM

I used to know folks from Beverly Robert, they were farmers but I haven't heard of them in ages, makes me think about them again
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-03-2015, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Freshfields ->
I used to know folks from Beverly Robert, they were farmers but I haven't heard of them in ages, makes me think about them again
Beautiful place Freshfields, we visited Beverley last Christmas and then again in the summer. It seems caught in a time warp.
Makes you want to live there....brilliant area for running...
Val J
East Yorkshire

04-03-2015, 10:51 PM

I agree, Beverley is a lovely market town, we usually park in Tescos, OGF, cos three hours gives us time to shop and have a bit of lunch in one of their nice tea shops. There are still loads of road works in the area but we've learnt to avoid them !!!

Love the photos.

Page 11 of 190 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top