Join for free
Page 5 of 1676 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 505 1005 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:17 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by solo ->
What happened !

I have heard of splitting the difference but this is now more like split personalities.
Hi Solo please see Admins note here ...

Hi All,

Some of you may have noticed I was tinkering with the server earlier. I noticed some spikes and I was investigating the cause.

One thing that can cause such issues are very long thread threads (usually game threads) and something we used to do was simply start a new thread to replace the old one when it got to 500 replies or so.

So we'll be doing that again. Just thought I better let you know in case you wonder why so many threads have shrunk though I bet it won't take long for them to become huge again

Thanks for your understanding
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=32245

This thread was originally over 2000 posts long.

And before anyone else says anything don't , splitting threads ia a long and laborious process and not one we enjoy so spare a thought for the Mods having to do it .
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Solo please see Admins note here ...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=32245

This thread was originally over 2000 posts long.

And before anyone else says anything don't , splitting threads ia a long and laborious process and not one we enjoy so spare a thought for the Mods having to do it .
. I only know this thread as Leisurely Scribbles so wondered what had happened to rename it in so many parts. Pologies Meg and thank you for explaining.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 01:48 PM

"And before anyone else says anything don't , splitting threads ia a long and laborious process and not one we enjoy so spare a thought for the Mods having to do it" .[/QUOTE] Meg.

Much appreciated Meg, thanks to all involved for their time and patience.

When threads get too long they get spikes
Red herrings, Roaches and Pikes
To sort them all out
Is no easy shout.

So now it doesn’t take ages
To skim through all the pages
Into the archive you won’t have to dive
Just follow steps 1,2,3,4, and five.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 07:20 PM

I’ve seen it all now, just when I thought the shampoo makers had run out of fibs to sell their glorified soapy gel up they spring with this beauty…Volumizing!, yes folks, not only can you see your beautiful shining hair, you can also hear it!, that fuller thicker hair ( thick hair? who want’s fat hair?) can now be volumized. “Phyllis, would you mind turning down your hair, I can’t hear the TV”
Years ago the ladies were content to wash their hair every Saturday night in soap and hot water, dry it in a towel and wait until it dried naturally, now they have volume and a noisy hair drier, what a racket, and they wonder why the hair is falling out.
Am I to suffer the noise of her hair in bed every night coupled with her thundering snoring? Christ it’s enough to drive a man to drink.

“I hear singing and there’s no one there
Could it be the volume in my hair?
All day long I seem to walk on air
I wonder why, I wonder why”
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:15 PM

See Jem, did the Split Threads thingy make you think of Split Ends?. On Jeremy Vine today, Zip Fasteners were being discussed, and was there any place for them in this modern world, well, I can honestly say, I once zipped up before rearranging the tackle, and ended up with a Split End.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-03-2016, 11:09 AM

You read my mind there Splitty.
I too learned me lesson with zips years ago Spitty, I don't trust them, I used to have one of those brown corduroy monkey tunics when I was a lad, I was always catching me tie in the zipper so it put me off having a zip on me trousers for life, only buttons will do.
There’s a question, why don’t they put Velcro flies on mens trousers?
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 01:20 PM

They do,Jem...ask any astronaut...LAST thing y'need as the world watches is to A/catch your wotsit in the zipper,or B/ping a fly button at the camera in your excitement....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-03-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
They do,Jem...ask any astronaut...LAST thing y'need as the world watches is to A/catch your wotsit in the zipper,or B/ping a fly button at the camera in your excitement....

That chap who came up with the velcro idea was a genius, trousers played a big part in that too, read this.

“Velcro is the brainchild of Swiss electrical engineer George de Mestral who in 1941 went for a walk in the woods and wondered if the burrs that clung to his trousers — and dog — could be turned into something useful.[1]
The original patented hook and loop fastener was invented in 1948 by de Mestral, who patented it in 1955 and subsequently refined and developed its practical manufacture until its commercial introduction in the late 1950s.” Wiki.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 04:20 PM

Yeah-allwellangoodanthat...but would it have REALLY been too much bother to put a wee loop,or a button-hole kinda thing,just one digit-sized,sorta thing,in the overlapping part,soze a bloke such as...well....MOI,who has somewhat less digits than yer average chap,and hands that are swollen due to the concomitant scar-tissue,could actually GRASP the damned thing? Hmm? Bleedin' Swiss - only too quick to take wedge for killing us-but ask'em for a favour? Pah-NO chance. I blame those poncy slippers with the pom-poms they wear,give the yodelling sods a power complex,so they do!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Give me the simple slipper any day Pug, no fancy work needed. I detest the ones that have no back at the heel, they keep coming off me.
Fancy a bit of boating?

This has to be one of the cheapest and compact tiny boats I have ever seen, great idea, I could spend many an hour cruising on the old canal in that, the only thing is would I have the nerve to get in it in public? I can just see all the kids coming along the canal from school throwing stones at me and shouting "Who does that gobshite think he is, Donald Campbell?" or the modern day equivalent of Campbell. Maybe on a small quite lake in Killarney but not on the Royal Canal here, ideal size for a lonesome fisherman though.

Page 5 of 1676 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 505 1005 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top