Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:06 PM

The state of our roads

All motorists complain about pot holes and the state of our roads these days. Only yesterday evening whilst driving near our home, one road contained so many pot holes that even driving slowly and making many rapid changes of direction (fortunately, the road was quiet) it was not possible to proceed without constant and repetitive banging and shaking.

I found this report, admittedly nearly three years old, offering explanations for our problems. Apparently, it rains too much in this country!
https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/why-a...ads-so-rubbish

One phrase that stuck in my mind was: "Yesterday, a World Economic Forum report claimed that the roads in Britain are some of the worst in the developed world, and compared them to those found in Namibia."

Another: "Even Chancellor George Osborne admitted it during his budget speech, when he said: 'Four-fifths of all journeys in this country are by road, yet we rank behind Puerto Rico and Namibia in the quality of our network.'"

No doubt there are some who would assure us that this situation is as a result of Brexit! Sadly, as can be seen from this (old) report, the problem has been in existence since long before the Brexit referendum.

I wonder whether our roads will ever reach the standards enjoyed by other European motorists.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:10 PM

Re: The state of our roads

If the Councils would just repair them properly and not with the cheapest muck they can get their hands on I'm sure they'd have lasted a lot longer.
What happens to all the Road Tax money we have to pay?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:15 PM

The councils are all strapped for cash! The potholes around here are terrible, one has to be extremely careful when driving.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:16 PM

They always seem to have enough money and enough tarmac for the speed humps.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They always seem to have enough money and enough tarmac for the speed humps.
Which are very necessary.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Which are very necessary.
Potholes are just as effective.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

29-03-2018, 12:35 PM

You can't always see the potholes, unlike speed bumps.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Our council is mired in fraud and financial misdoings, if they actually spend half of what it looks like they've misspent our roads could be great.
Many councils are not fit for purpose IMO

And buying cheap isn't always best, you get what you pay for I'm many ways.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:43 PM

What i want to know is where the vehicle road fund licence money goes? certainly not back in road repairs
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
If the Councils would just repair them properly and not with the cheapest muck they can get their hands on I'm sure they'd have lasted a lot longer.
What happens to all the Road Tax money we have to pay?
I agree. Our problems are caused by a number of things.

We have a preponderance of road works in this country as evidence by the ubiquitous lines of cones often stretching for miles yet without any visible evidence of anyone doing any actual work. That suggests to me that the forward planning is non-existent.

Then there is the frequent occurrence - I have witnessed this locally at first hand - of one utility company digging up the road, 'repairing' it, and then another company doing exactly the same a few weeks later.

The other thing is, as you say Roxy, the fact that when they do repair the roads they attempt to save money (and time) by doing it as quickly and cheaply as they possibly can. They have clearly never heard the saying that if you buy cheaply, you buy twice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top