Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Odd Emails

Today I received an email supposed to be from a friend, but it looked odd, even though it was signed off in his christian name.

There was just one line saying he thought I might be interested in the link he provided.
It didn't 'feel' right, and the link looked all gobble-de-gook letters and words.
I deleted it.

I then emailed my friend and asked him if he had sent this and he said No, he hadn't.

Now strangely enough, a second peculiar email came from another friend. (These two friends don't know each other).

This second email also looked suspicious.
It started with my first name - but no 'Hi/hello/dear' - just the name, and then contained a link only.
Once again, it was signed off in my friends christian name.

This one too, was immediately deleted, and I then did a full scan, plus cleared other bits and bobs too.

This is playing on my mind a bit tonight, because it is something I don't understand and have no answers for.

Does anyone know whether my account is in danger from hackers, or is it my friend's accounts that have been compromised?

It seems a very strange coincidence to receive TWO emails with hours of each other, don't you think?

Thanks for any opinons.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:23 PM

Re: Odd Emails

You did the right thing deleting them Mups, don't ever follow the links either....

I'm sure some of the 'Tech Guys' on the forum can explain it better than me......
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:29 PM

Had a quick Google Mups and I believe it is email spoofing. Opening the email shouldn't be a problem but as Fox says, avoid clicking on the links.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:10 PM

Thanks Foxy & Dongle.
I wouldn't have opened the links, don't worry, but isn't it strange to receive two in one morning. Spooked me a bit to be honest.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:19 PM

I've had fake emails in the past supposedly from BT, but they didn't look right looking at the email address. So I hovered a bit over them rather than reading the email then went online to see if there was anything about them.
They were fake.

A lady I was friends with died. About a month later I got two emails from her. Obviously fake and deleted them without opening them.

Such an awful thing to do.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:43 PM

Mups, I have had these emails in the past but l knew by the wording used, they were fake.
The one, supposedly from my son, was too formal so l guessed it was a fake.
You have to be on the ball all the time these days!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-05-2019, 10:48 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Pesta and Art.
Wretched nuisance these people, aren't they.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:59 PM

Sounds as if someone has got hold of a friend's list on your computer .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Wouldn't be surprised to find that the scam is on your own pC and using your email addresses.

Try running malwarebytes & your normal virus checker.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-05-2019, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Wouldn't be surprised to find that the scam is on your own pC and using your email addresses.

Try running malwarebytes & your normal virus checker.

Thank you Ted. I already have Malwarebytes though.

Touch wood it hasn't happened again (yet).

If someone has got into my address book like RS suggested, how would I tell?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top