Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Re: Royal Mail Parcel Post Boxes

The other day I sent a small roll of film to be developed, via the Post Office, in a small A5 Jiffy bag, with just a cheque.

As a large letter, it would have cost about £1.50 by weight, but because the film made it just slightly too thick to go through the gap in the cardboard thing, it was treated as a packet, and the price was £3.55!!!!

And the Post Office wonders why it's losing customers.

If courier services can do it, why can't the P.O.?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
On a similar note, seeing the trial in Milton Keynes of having deliveries by robot, I can't understand what's stopping those robots being waylaid, broken into, and the contents stolen.

Besides which, it might be easy in Milton Keynes where the layout can cope with robots trundling around, but I can't see a robot getting far where I live, with very narrow, sloping pavements, often blocked by wheelie bins etc.

I agree Pyxell, I have wondered the same thing.
Some Geek will invent a key fob some other gadget that overides the robot's mechanism, bound to.

What do they do when they get to their destination anyway?
Do they knock on doors, or read delivery instructions on where to leave said parcel if we're out?
What about blocks of flats? Can they go work escalators as well?

All this will do is put even more people out of work, same as delivery drones will.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Pyxell, I have wondered the same thing.
Some Geek will invent a key fob some other gadget that overides the robot's mechanism, bound to.

What do they do when they get to their destination anyway?
Do they knock on doors, or read delivery instructions on where to leave said parcel if we're out?
What about blocks of flats? Can they go work escalators as well?

All this will do is put even more people out of work, same as delivery drones will.
It looked like the person ordering the stuff is sent a message on their phone when it arrives, and they then go outside and open up the robot with, presumably, a passcode or something.

It looks like the whole thing is pre-arranged so that you will be in when it arrives.

I can see it having only a very limited usage.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
It looked like the person ordering the stuff is sent a message on their phone when it arrives, and they then go outside and open up the robot with, presumably, a passcode or something.

It looks like the whole thing is pre-arranged so that you will be in when it arrives.

I can see it having only a very limited usage.

I agree. And what about people who are out at work all day, where does their parcel get left I wonder?
We can't always guarantee to be in at a certain time, can we.
Just more boys toys if you ask me, while more folks lose their jobs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top