Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Re: Knitted tea cosy (for a mug)

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Bruce that's exactly the same pattern I found on the internet and tried knitting! Not only that, I did it in the same shade of wool! I like the tea cosy too. Got lots of wool left to play with now that I've got the hang of it.
Yes, I printed out the pattern you identified in your post and gave it to one of the ladies from my seniors craft group. She knocked up one from the pattern in minutes but it was too small for any cups we had so she quickly made a bigger one which you saw in the photo.

After we had played around with various mugs and cups before deciding they were totally impractical, she wanted to know what to do with the rest of the wool so I suggested a tea cozy and described my teapot (not very accurately). The next day she turned up with the one pictured having made it with no pattern while watching the TV news that evening.

I know experienced knitters can be quick - my mother made all our family's woollens from when I was a kid and I still have the one she made for me on her last visit to Australia. Unfortunately I can't wear it because even the coldest winter here is far too hot for this jumper (and for some reason known only to her it is off white) but it has sentimental value I guess.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Yes, my mom was a quick knitter and made a lot of sweaters for the five of us when we were young. Even though she doesn't knit anymore she's been coaching me and still remembers it all. Like your friend who made the tea cosy, she could knit up something to suit without a pattern. Too bad I didn't inherit her smarts! Will persevere though...
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 05:28 PM

do you ever have problems working out what the instructions on a pattern mean?
I have a pattern that has instruction 'pick up stitch with left needle from front to back'
now this is a shawl which has a 'front side' (stocking stitch) and a 'backside' (garter stitch)
but...if you pick up a stitch, from front to back, do they mean the front side, or the side that is at the front as you are looking at it on the row you are knitting...

arggg, is the front the front, or the side facing you?

((I'll just get my coat))
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 05:42 PM

I would say that for that instruction the front is the side facing you at the time.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2013, 08:14 PM

Well, I've tried the pick up both ways, with the front being the side facing me, and also as the front being the stocking stitch side, and I can't tell the difference when looking at the test swatches, so I'm going with the front being the stocking stitch side.
The stitch is easier to knit into this way, too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top