Join for free
Page 11 of 33 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 12:59 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

I have been considering whether to alter our answerphone message to something like:
"Hello. Please leave your name, number and message and we'll get back to you."

At present, the message states that there's no-one at home, which might send out the wrong message to the wrong people!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have been considering whether to alter our answerphone message to something like:
"Hello. Please leave your name, number and message and we'll get back to you."

At present, the message states that there's no-one at home, which might send out the wrong message to the wrong people!
you could put

"Please ring back later I am having sex right now"
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
you could put

"Please ring back later I am having sex right now"
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Hi this is Malcolm’s new answering service; it uses telepathy to read your mind. At the BEEP think about your name, then your number, then think about your reason for calling… and he will think about calling you back.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-10-2020, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Hi this is Malcolm’s new answering service; it uses telepathy to read your mind. At the BEEP think about your name, then your number, then think about your reason for calling… and he will think about calling you back.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 11:04 AM

Watch out for emails offering a £1000 Morisons or Asda Gift Card.

You get asked to fill out a form to get the gift!

There is a scam, of this nature, about!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 11:14 AM

had one from amazon by a woman on recorded message saying there had been money withdrawn from my account, and to check push button 1 on the phone. same call twice yesterday
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 11:37 AM

I have been told from a reliable source, that if you suspect that you get a time wasting (scam) telephone call, just pick up the phone but do not say anything. It rings off within a few seconds. It works as I have tried it.
If it is a call from someone you know they will answer with a “hello are you there?”
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:38 PM

We've got a landline but rarely use it, it rarely rings and when it does we rarely answer ... unless we're expecting a call.

We've had a few dodgy calls in the last week: "Amazon", "Your Bank", (both recorded messages suggesting I press one). When I googled the numbers, no mention of anything ...

I've since learnt that googling numbers is pointless because scammers now use software to disguise the true number they're calling from.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 10:36 AM

Another PayPal scam warning:

Scam Warning - Fake Paypal Emails

Action Fraud is warning people selling items online to be on the lookout for criminals sending fake PayPal emails.

Between January 2020 and September 2020, 21,349 crime reports were made to Action Fraud about fake PayPal emails.
Victims reported losing a total of £7,891,077.44 during this time.
Those targeted included people selling jewellery, furniture and electronics via online marketplaces.
Reports of fake PayPal emails to Action Fraud made up a third of all reports of online shopping and auction fraud during this period.

How does it happen?

Criminals have been targeting people selling items online, by sending them emails purporting to be from PayPal. The emails trick victims into believing they have received payment for the items they’re selling on the platform.

Typically, after receiving these emails, victims will ship the item to the criminal. This leaves them at a further disadvantage having not received any payment for the item and also no longer being in possession of it.

How can you protect yourself?

Sellers beware: If you’re selling items on an online marketplace, be aware of the warning signs that your buyer is a scammer. Scammers may have negative feedback history, or may have recently set up a new account to avoid getting poor feedback. Don’t be persuaded into sending anything until you can verify you’ve received the payment.

Scam messages: Don’t click on the links or attachments in suspicious emails, and never respond to messages that ask for your personal or financial details.

How to spot the difference: A PayPal email will address you by your first and last name, or your business name, and will never ask you for your full password, bank account, or credit card details in a message.

If you think you’ve been a victim of fraud, report it to Action Fraud online at www.actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 123 2040.

Page 11 of 33 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top