Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Brain 'chips' in Pigs

I am not sure whether this needs to be in Animals, or Technology, or Health even?

What is the general feeling about Gertrude the pig, and two other pigs, having electronic 'chips' implanted in their brains to monitor brain signals for research for anything from human Dementia to Deafness?

This has all been paid for by billionaire Elom Musk's Neurolink.

I would imagine at some point they will have to damage Gertrude's brain and hearing to monitor deterioration?

Do you feel this is ethical - or not?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53956683
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 02:04 PM

Re: Brain 'chips' in Pigs

I read about this the other day and didn't like it at all
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 02:35 PM

I think it is sick.

In what way does it work?

How does it benefit the pig?

Do we now have an all singing, all dancing pig that can debate the morals/ethics/arrogance of human beings who seem to think they have the right to play God?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am not sure whether this needs to be in Animals, or Technology, or Health even?

What is the general feeling about Gertrude the pig, and two other pigs, having electronic 'chips' implanted in their brains to monitor brain signals for research for anything from human Dementia to Deafness?

This has all been paid for by billionaire Elom Musk's Neurolink.

I would imagine at some point they will have to damage Gertrude's brain and hearing to monitor deterioration?

Do you feel this is ethical - or not?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53956683
Sounds very sinister to me Mups, allthough l dont think Gertrude
will suffer any pain or discomfort from the proceedure as brains
apparently dont have any nerves, and so cant feel pain ?
Whether Gertrude will have any future problems will only be known
later?
However l wonder why Musk wants to do this at all, is he hoping to
gain control of individuals or what??
Very dodgy imo ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I think it is sick.

In what way does it work?

How does it benefit the pig?

Do we now have an all singing, all dancing pig that can debate the morals/ethics/arrogance of human beings who seem to think they have the right to play God?
Dont forget Musks target is humans Tabby ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 04:16 PM

I love pigs .
Could ‘nt we use criminals instead ?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 04:39 PM

I'm no expert ..only a laypig but I suppose it just depends on how you feel about any medical advances linked to animal experimentation.

I understand it's pretty much to do with the brain sending electrical impulses to facilitate walking, talking ..or physical mobility generally ?
Eventually it could become a sophisticated human-computer interface .. as opposed to a robotic AI ?
If you're clinical minded it could be dubbed a fascinating advance with fantastic potential.
Obviously not if you're a pig.

It made me wonder if they used animals when they originally tested heart pacemakers or stents?
In addition to drugs and pharmaceuticals I suppose animals get roped on for this kind of research too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 04:41 PM

Poor Gertrude there are plenty of 'humans' they could use for their experiments ...
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 04:45 PM

Cor ... could you imagine the Human Rights Brigade if they tried to do that? .... as nice as it is to think of it.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I love pigs .
Could ‘nt we use criminals instead ?
We could but the millennials would be horrified.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top