Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 12:30 PM

Re: Coronoavirus: Furlough Wind Down Starts

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A value judgement by Government.

No Furlough, massive job losses and a bigger burden on the Taxpayer.
Not so. Universal credit would have cost less in most cases.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Out of interest, what would you and/or Todger have done, assuming that you wanted to limit the spread of what was considered to be a particularly nasty virus at the time?
Pretty much what BoJo did but don't pay laid off workers. Leave them to claim universal credit if eligible.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

02-09-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It would be a lot more expensive if 3 million people lost their jobs over COVID-19.

When people go back to work, the economy will bounce back and the shortfall of orders etc needs to be sorted out. Furloughing is the right thing to do - you don't need to recruit them back or worse, replace them with untrained staff when the pandemic is over. You also don't need to pay unemployed people welfare, housing benefit etc - and considering people got a 3 month mortgage holiday, I don't think they would be affected all that much (in most cases).

In the USA I saw a report that manufacturing is at an all time high since the last 16 years due to the surge since COVOD-19. What happens in the USA usually happens here.
The economy is not going to bounce back. Something will emerge but it will unlike anything seen before. The Chinese Plague together with the fallout from BREXIT will see to that.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Pretty much what BoJo did but don't pay laid off workers. Leave them to claim universal credit if eligible.
So should I get universal credit then even though I'm working still ? What do you mean by eligible ?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

02-09-2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
So should I get universal credit then even though I'm working still ? What do you mean by eligible ?
Eligible under the terms of eligibility to claim Benefits limited by those available under the terms of universal credit.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 08:39 PM

I believe that the furlough scheme was one of the biggest mistakes made where the effect on the UK economy is concerned if not the biggest.
Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
All too true and now the law of unintended consequences falls into place because people have got used to it and dont want to return to work, if their jobs still exist.
Yup ... that just about sums it up.
Regular unemployment benefit would have been more realistic. I imagine all the unemployed felt mightily miffed. over the disparity in the handouts.

In Germany, despite some opposition, Merkel has just extended their furlough scheme until the end of 2021 (yup, that was not a typo).
Theirs worked the other way around though ..
Upto 3 months = 60%
After 3 months = 70%
After 6 months = 80%
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 08:39 PM

Eligible under the terms of eligibility to claim Benefits limited by those available under the terms of universal credit.
Can you rephrase that Todge, yo sound like your reading an
instruction manual ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Yup ... that just about sums it up.
Regular unemployment benefit would have been more realistic. I imagine all the unemployed felt mightily miffed. over the disparity in the handouts.

In Germany, despite some opposition, Merkel has just extended their furlough scheme until the end of 2021 (yup, that was not a type).
Theirs worked the other way arpound though ..
Upto 3 months = 60%
After 3 months = 70%
After 6 months = 80%
Wow! Does it top out at 100%??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 10:07 PM

Don't know enough about universal credit...but surely all tha palava about having to claim for mortgage/rent repayment holidays and other loss of job insurance schemes on a large scale would have proven somehat complex in terms of the number of people making such claims? Coupled with the inundation of people claiming for universal credit??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 10:28 PM

The capitalistic society has been very kind, possibly because it has to protect itself?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top