Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 09:46 AM

US Election: Trump denies downplaying severity of virus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-...eporting-story

US President Donald Trump has denied downplaying the seriousness of Covid-19, despite admitting in a recorded interview to having done just that. At a televised event with voters, Mr Trump said he had "up-played" it. The claim contradicts comments Mr Trump made to journalist Bob Woodward earlier this year, when he said he minimised the virus's severity to avoid panic. Mr Trump also repeated on Tuesday that a vaccine could be ready "within weeks" despite scepticism from health experts.

At Tuesday's town hall meeting held by ABC News in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Mr Trump was asked why he would "downplay a pandemic that is known to disproportionately harm low-income families and minority communities". Mr Trump responded: "Yeah, well, I didn't downplay it. I actually, in many ways, I up-played it, in terms of action. My action was very strong. We would have lost thousands of more people had I not put the ban on. We saved a lot of lives when we did that".

Mr Trump repeated his earlier claim that the virus would disappear on its own because people would "develop... herd mentality", likely referring to "herd immunity" when enough people have developed resistance to a disease to stop its transmission.

He also again cast doubt on the scientific advice of his own administration on mask-wearing. "The concept of a mask is good, but... you're constantly touching it. You're touching your face. You're touching plates. There are people that don't think masks are good," he said.

Meanwhile, the magazine Scientific American on Tuesday endorsed a presidential candidate for the first time in its 175-year history, backing Democrat Joe Biden for the White House. The magazine said Mr Trump "rejects evidence and science" and described his response to the coronavirus pandemic as "dishonest and inept".
Trump is jaw-droppingly moronic; he has the vocabulary and grammar of a 12-year-old with the intellectual capacity of an 8-year-old while his predilection for prevarication is positively pre-school.

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 01:24 PM

Re: US Election: Trump denies downplaying severity of virus

Yes but he’s a loud, power and money hungry American with Russian ties and lots of people love him. He’s promised to bring America back to what it used to be I’m not not really sure what that even means. I’m not sure if he’ll be re-elected but if he doesn’t get in, I expect he will stay anyway which will cause a major stir and possibly even a civil war. I sincerely worry about our neighbour country. Yes Trump has indeed boosted their economy but there are far more important things which need addressing that he seems oblivious of. The riots and mobbing going on down there is heart breaking. I feel like our world won’t ever be the same again.

And while I think the internet has been one of the greatest inventions ever, I think it’s equally been one of our biggest downfalls too. Everyone is too into everyone else’s business. We didn’t have this type of closeness and ability to become that intimate before and it’s definitely got a negative side.

Being a public leader, you’d think he’d be on the side of science when it comes to this pandemic but he’s not. He’s been downplaying this virus since it first came out which I believe is a huge contributing factor in why the pandemic has spread so fast. Add the fact that he acts like a racist nor cares that he does, isn’t helping any; especially with the racist climate thats been brewing lately.

To be brutally honest I really worry about the future of North American. Then again , I worry about the future of our world right now. There has been so much that has happened that it’s mind boggling. I’m still trying to process all of it. Much of it is like a nightmare.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-...eporting-story

Trump is jaw-droppingly moronic; he has the vocabulary and grammar of a 12-year-old with the intellectual capacity of an 8-year-old while his predilection for prevarication is positively pre-school.

In your opinion. He's certainly no politician which is by no means a bad thing and a very successful business man. Above all else he and his party are fighting against the un-American scum string to turn the country into a jungle in more ways than one.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 04:36 PM

Desperate to hang onto power, a lot of conspiracy about Bidens and a certain actor circulating too.
Apparently it's good verus evil in the upcoming election. That is distracting attention from the virus. That seems to be something that's going on in the background.

Some very weird reasoning going on. Best to keep calm and carry on or you'd go mad.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 04:49 PM

A vote for Trump is a vote against ANTIFA and all that BLM nonsense so for me it's Trump all the way.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes but he’s a loud, power and money hungry American with Russian ties and lots of people love him. He’s promised to bring America back to what it used to be I’m not not really sure what that even means. I’m not sure if he’ll be re-elected but if he doesn’t get in, I expect he will stay anyway which will cause a major stir and possibly even a civil war. I sincerely worry about our neighbour country. Yes Trump has indeed boosted their economy but there are far more important things which need addressing that he seems oblivious of. The riots and mobbing going on down there is heart breaking. I feel like our world won’t ever be the same again.

And while I think the internet has been one of the greatest inventions ever, I think it’s equally been one of our biggest downfalls too. Everyone is too into everyone else’s business. We didn’t have this type of closeness and ability to become that intimate before and it’s definitely got a negative side.

Being a public leader, you’d think he’d be on the side of science when it comes to this pandemic but he’s not. He’s been downplaying this virus since it first came out which I believe is a huge contributing factor in why the pandemic has spread so fast. Add the fact that he acts like a racist nor cares that he does, isn’t helping any; especially with the racist climate thats been brewing lately.

To be brutally honest I really worry about the future of North American. Then again , I worry about the future of our world right now. There has been so much that has happened that it’s mind boggling. I’m still trying to process all of it. Much of it is like a nightmare.
Indeed ..... there's a lot of uncertainty .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-09-2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Desperate to hang onto power, a lot of conspiracy about Bidens and a certain actor circulating too.
Apparently it's good verus evil in the upcoming election. That is distracting attention from the virus. That seems to be something that's going on in the background.

Some very weird reasoning going on. Best to keep calm and carry on or you'd go mad.
USA

Coronavirus may be in the background for Trump but here's the result of his reponse to the pandemic:

Cases:6,798,195

Deaths: 200,679

AFAIK, those are the worst figures in the world .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

16-09-2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
USA

Coronavirus may be in the background for Trump but here's the result of his reponse to the pandemic:

Cases:6,798,195

Deaths: 200,679

AFAIK, those are the worst figures in the world .....

The American economy is totally unlike the Europe and The Republican party have tried to square a circle as much as could be done to maintain the domestic economy in spite of this awful Chinese Plague.

I doubt anyone else or the Dems could have done as well.

Edited d add - much more important than the headline numbers is the percentages. The US death rate is about 3% . For comparison the UK rate is circa 11% though that is probably high because of the basis that data is collected by the UK.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 06:47 PM

Hmmm .... downplaying, upplaying ...

The world is confused and uncertain about the severity of is virus.

It's not killing people like it was.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-09-2020, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

Hmmm .... downplaying, upplaying ...

The world is confused and uncertain about the severity of is virus.

It's not killing people like it was*.
* In the USA, it peaked at 2,240 a day, dropped to 500 in July and has now climbed again to 900 a day (27,000 per month) - only India is worse at 1200 a day .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top