Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 10:33 AM

New Router

Hi

My EE Router failed to work, so a few days offline.

New one has arrived, easy to set up for the laptop, a complete nightmare for Home Automation.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Re: New Router

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

New one has arrived, easy to set up for the laptop, a complete nightmare for Home Automation.
Never felt the need for home automation Swim, I get confused just altering the clocks twice a year...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Never felt the need for home automation Swim, I get confused just altering the clocks twice a year...

Me neither, Foxy. I honestly can't see the point.
It's just yet another 'man's toy' to me.

I can set my heating to do what I want, I can work magic by flicking a switch and make lights come on, I can flick another switch and have music whenever I want it, and I can even change tv channels without getting out of my chair if I choose. And if I want someone to talk to, I can pick up a thing called a telephone.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting lifeless in a chair talking to a machine.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 12:48 PM

Hi

I assume that it's a dual Wi-Fi frequency type? 5Ghz for the newer stuff, 2.4Ghz for so-called `legacy`devices. i.e. those that haven't been updated to use the higher frequency. For example, my Echoes, tablet, and phone use the 5Ghz signal, but my `smart` Wi-Fi socket adapters and lightbulbs do not.

Look for the Smart Life App in Google Play/Apple Store and try that. It's the easiest to use I've found.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I can set my heating to do what I want, I can work magic by flicking a switch and make lights come on, I can flick another switch and have music whenever I want it, and I can even change tv channels without getting out of my chair if I choose. And if I want someone to talk to, I can pick up a thing called a telephone.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting lifeless in a chair talking to a machine.
Hi

It keeps the Pretendies happy.

If you had heart failure and unstable angina you would also be grateful for it.

It is literally a life saver.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 04:14 PM

Hi

It keeps the Pretendies happy.

If you had heart failure and unstable angina you would also be grateful for it.

It is literally a life saver.

How?
Would you explain please.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 05:27 PM

Ahh. But can you switch them on or off when you're out and about? My lights are set to come on at a particular time every day but I can override these settings using my mobile phone if I need to.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-09-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Ahh. But can you switch them on or off when you're out and about? My lights are set to come on at a particular time every day but I can override these settings using my mobile phone if I need to.

But you like your toys Judsy, they are not a necessity because you've obviously got to the age you are safe enough without them.
Anyway, you can buy simple timers for lights without talking things, and mobile phone controls.

It's just another ' man thing.'
I bet you a fiver there are many, many more men with these things than women.

I don't want to be relying on gadgets to get through my day, and if there was a power cut this winter, you would be in the dark just the same as me. You'd be scratching about in the dark, trying to find your mobile, cursing and muttering, while I would simply light a candle or use my torch.
If someone nicked your phone, you wouldn't survive.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:25 PM

Funnily enough I just bought a new router too, just a cheapy

1600watts of it, though I can't connect it to my laptop, it is a nice toy and for a mere $146 who's complaining?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

12-09-2020, 11:35 PM

But you like your toys Judsy, they are not a necessity because you've obviously got to the age you are safe enough without them.
Anyway, you can buy simple timers for lights without talking things, and mobile phone controls.

It's just another ' man thing.'
I bet you a fiver there are many, many more men with these things than women.

I don't want to be relying on gadgets to get through my day, and if there was a power cut this winter, you would be in the dark just the same as me. You'd be scratching about in the dark, trying to find your mobile, cursing and muttering, while I would simply light a candle or use my touch.
If someone nicked your phone, you wouldn't survive.
My phone has a torch and I could get everything working with 4G

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top