Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:37 PM

Re: New Router

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Me neither, Foxy. I honestly can't see the point.
It's just yet another 'man's toy' to me.

I can set my heating to do what I want, I can work magic by flicking a switch and make lights come on, I can flick another switch and have music whenever I want it, and I can even change tv channels without getting out of my chair if I choose. And if I want someone to talk to, I can pick up a thing called a telephone.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting lifeless in a chair talking to a machine.
Me too Mups.
I mean who'd a thort it ... I can remember having to actually stand up and move my legs in that one-two rhythm called walking to get to the TV set to change channel.

All this automaton stuff is slowly diminishing my skill base.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Me too Mups.
I mean who'd a thort it ... I can remember having to actually stand up and move my legs in that one-two rhythm called walking to get to the TV set to change channel.

All this automaton stuff is slowly diminishing my skill base.

Thank you Morti, see, it takes another woman to understand these things. x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My phone has a torch and I could get everything working with 4G

See, you're not paying attention Judd.

I said . . . . . " If someone nicked your phone, you wouldn't survive."

And look at your reply.
Your phone's torch wouldn't be much help if it had been nicked, would it!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:53 PM

See, you're not paying attention Judd.

I said . . . . . " If someone nicked your phone, you wouldn't survive."

And look at your reply.
Your phone's torch wouldn't be much help if it had been nicked, would it!
Could always buy another phone.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-09-2020, 11:58 PM

Could always buy another phone.

See Mort?
They never admit we're right.
Typical bloke.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:02 AM

Well he could buy another phone I suppose ... ...or buy another ready as a spare?

Mind,.... I'm a dinosaur and I'm naturally distrustful of getting too dependent on technology.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Well he could buy another phone I suppose ... ...or buy another ready as a spare?

Mind,.... I'm a dinosaur and I'm naturally distrustful of getting too dependent on technology.
Amen to that Morty.
Today's gadget is tomorrow's necessity!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-09-2020, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Amen to that Morty.
Today's gadget is tomorrow's necessity!

There's a lot of truth in that Foxy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 04:59 PM

There's a lot of truth in that Foxy.
Once upon a time smartphones and being able to monitor the goings on in and around your house while lazing on a beach in Benidorm were just science fiction....Now some people can't do without them Mups....
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 06:01 PM

Ahh. But can you switch them on or off when you're out and about? My lights are set to come on at a particular time every day but I can override these settings using my mobile phone if I need to.
Why would I want my lights on when I'm out or be able to turn them on with my phone? I can vaguely imagine with a busy unstructure lifestyle I might want to control the heating remotely but just a timer does well enough for me.

On the router change I imagine all the smart stuff is on WiFi and was set up to use the original router. Making a note of the SSIDs and passwords for the two bands on the old router and setting up the new one to use those rather than the defaults would save a lot of setup work.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top