Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 07:16 AM

Gmail Rejected my Email

A friend of mine asked for a simple way to get a record of the contents of her USB Thumb Drives that she is using for portability in her accounting business. There are other more important ways of backing up that she uses but this is also a quick backup for convenience and she needs a record.

I wrote a short batch file which just transfers the information she needs to a text file on the drive on which it is run. I then sent the batch file as an attachment via email.

Almost immediately I received this very stern email back marked "UNDELIVERABLE"

mx.google.com rejected your message to the following email addresses:

<recipients email address>

Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

mx.google.com gave this error:
This message was blocked because its content presents a potential security issue. Please visit https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage to review our message content and attachment content guidelines. l23si1644264pgm.314 - gsmtp

<lots more info deleted>
Quite right too. I never gave it a thought but a batch file could be potentially as dangerous as an .exe or a virus file.

I renamed it to a .TXT file and re-sent it which was fine but it was good to know that Gmail is on to these things. I shall have to be more thoughtful when sending attachments in future - I don't want to lose my Gmail or my Hotmail address, that would be VERY inconvenient.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 09:44 AM

Re: Gmail Rejected my Email

Yes, I suppose batch files are how things are loaded onto a computer so it could have been a virus you were sending.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, I suppose batch files are how things are loaded onto a computer so it could have been a virus you were sending.
Yes it was a good decision by Gmail, I really didn't think properly about it I was too keen to get the file to my friend.

As I say I resent it as a text file which went through with no problems, she merely has to rename it when she copies it to the USB drives.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 05:05 PM

I remember getting a .zip file rejected some years back for the same reason.
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 08:44 PM

There are email servers that will scan even further and detect a simple extension name change and hence still reject the contents as an executable script including .zip files and their contents

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top