Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 08:24 PM

peddle bin fix

For some time the kitchen waste peddle bin would not fully open. This is because there was a flimsy locating catch the bar from the peddle went into under the lid. Cheap nasty bit of plastic so cut and filed that out.

Sue was thinking about spending £40+ on a new one.
So I took the broken lid catch and peddle bin into the workshop to see if I could fix it. Got a piece of
metal strip and bent and drilled it bit with no success.

Was I going to be beaten? hell no

Then another of Bazzas brainwaves, use a gate catch

Drilled a couple of holes in the bin lid and bolted the part to the underside of the lid, and it works perfectly. Opens fully and shuts down as it should
If Sue want to put a bit of black paint on it to cover the bolts that is down to her
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 09:06 PM

Re: peddle bin fix

Rubbish!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 09:20 PM

From the never throw anything away, you can always find a use for it, creative thinking. Ingenious solution.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
For some time the kitchen waste peddle bin would not fully open. This is because there was a flimsy locating catch the bar from the peddle went into under the lid. Cheap nasty bit of plastic so cut and filed that out.

Sue was thinking about spending £40+ on a new one.
So I took the broken lid catch and peddle bin into the workshop to see if I could fix it. Got a piece of
metal strip and bent and drilled it bit with no success.

Was I going to be beaten? hell no

Then another of Bazzas brainwaves, use a gate catch

Drilled a couple of holes in the bin lid and bolted the part to the underside of the lid, and it works perfectly. Opens fully and shuts down as it should
If Sue want to put a bit of black paint on it to cover the bolts that is down to her
I did exactly the same as you earlier on in the summer with a pair of cut down coach bolts for the smooth dome-headed effect on the top :thumbup:

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top