Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Re: One Year Ago Today

I agree Mollie its your life youdo what you want to do lass
my mother was told not to smoke to
she told every one its the only plesure she got 4 months later she pased away your life its yours to do with what you want
my brother micheal would agree hes going to the tanning beds with cancer
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 04:30 PM

I'll own to been a smoker here at the outset.

You do as you choose Mollie. You're not sounding selfish.... in fact you sound like you think pretty much as I do.

We all pick our poison ..life would be flamin dull if we didn't ... and anyone who claims to lead a healthy lifestyle is kidding themselves if they someone think they'll escape any serious ailments or diseases.
My mum never smoked, drank or over indulged ... she even took regular supplements and looked after herself.
She died of bowel cancer.
So pick your poison.
We all go to the great beyond one day.
My biggest dread has to be maintaining a healthy body that outlasts my mental faculties. Now that, personally, to me, would be a living Hell.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 09:59 PM

A Cautionary tale. In December 1993 (just prior to Xmas) after finishing a whole day's voluntary work I went and did some shopping. On coming out of the shop I saw my bus sailing past me. The bus stop was some distance along the road and I knew I would never be able to run that fast to catch it. It was a horrible day and the rain was being blown into the bus shelter. As a consequence I went into a pub for a 'quick one' whilst killing time awaiting the next bus (30 minutes hence).

At that time I was a 'heavy' smoker and had 60 cigarettes in my pocket. Whilst smoking and drinking I started to feel unwell with chest pains and actually collapsed inside the pub. An ambulance was summoned and I was carted off to our local hospital where it was discovered I had a Pulmonary embolism. I was kept in hospital for the next six days and given oxygen therapy (my oxygen saturation had dropped to 79) and a Heparin drip. I was told by the Consultant that I almost died that evening. The next day, as ill as I was I was 'gasping' for a cigarette and had I been offered one, despite the damage already done to my lungs, would have had one. The Doctors knowing of my 'distress' and craving eventually slapped a patch on my arm and told me in no uncertain terms that I either gave up smoking before it gave me up. On discharge from hospital, I undertook a 3 month nicotine patch therapy course (which I had to pay for) which weaned me off nicotine. That was 19 years ago and from time to time I still get the occasional twinge of craving. However I now know that if I went anywhere near a cigarette again my lungs would not be able to withstand it anymore.

Subsequently I have been diagnosed with late onset Asthma and smoke and pollution are my main triggers for a chronic acute attack.

My Illness was a 'warning' to me, a warning I have listened to and paid heed of.

Mollie darlin' your 'stroke' was your warning, please pay heed to what your body is telling you and give up your smoking before it gives you up. If you need help doing so, whilst not a qualified 'Councellor', I'm here to listen and help you if you want.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 02:10 AM

I am glad your ok Mollie, and having read through this thread
without wanting to sound like i am preaching but, i have been witness to so many people who refused to believe smoking was the cause of the health issue they have.

Yes it is addictive, but its also a habit, and the addiction is not the issue, its the habit that is hard to concur.

Its easy to bring up other things that cause life threatening illness, but that seams to be the come back from smokers when the health problems regarding smoking are raised.

And i would also like to add i was a smoker, until i witnessed
( due to my job) just what damage smoking causes.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 10:58 AM

I wouldn't give up smoking either Mollie but should you still be working. I would have thought retirement would be a better option for you but obviously I don't know your financial position so maybe you feel you can't afford to yet.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top