Join for free
Page 11 of 25 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:42 PM

Re: Doctors - do you trust them?

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:52 PM

Far far too many horror stories all around the country for them not to be true, just wish we could all live near pats as her service seems pretty good !
sandra
Bristol
sandra is female  sandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
I'm glad it worked out for you.
THANK-YOU Lilac ... Reading some of this thread others have not been so lucky..but it's so difficult to know what to do ...if I was able to go along with the first consultant ...which is probably what I would have done!...it would have been the wrong thing to do... for me...we are all human.. doctors consultants everyone..and make errors of judgement ...sad for some ...but thats just the way it is...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
do you believe everything doctors tell you..without proof?
I am not joking..according to doctors I should be at least in a wheelchair..the other option was dead..
I am neither..
Me too, according to my GP in 1974!

I'd had a fall off 10 feet tall steps up to a Hercules aircraft I was working on and fell on part of the undercarriage - right on the base of my spine.

I still remember the appalling pain and partial paralysis for about an hour and it turned out I'd done a fair bit of damage but I listened to a physiotherapist rather than my doctor - just as well in the end.

May I just add here that I see that the government is now considering, or about to bring in yet more "league tables" to name-and-shame GPs failing to diagnose Cancers.

This is just plain wrong in my opinion!

They want GPs to take the pressure off hospital A&E departments, with no attention at all given to the funding problems they already have and now they want to kick GPs in the teeth with more bureaucracy and humiliation?!

IMHO Jeremy Hunt should have stayed as Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport!

We need someone with a medical background at the very least, not someone obviously more intent on the political power ladder! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Me too, according to my GP in 1974!

I'd had a fall off 10 feet tall steps up to a Hercules aircraft I was working on and fell on part of the undercarriage - right on the base of my spine.

I still remember the appalling pain and partial paralysis for about an hour and it turned out I'd done a fair bit of damage but I listened to a physiotherapist rather than my doctor - just as well in the end.

May I just add here that I see that the government is now considering, or about to bring in yet more "league tables" to name-and-shame GPs failing to diagnose Cancers.

This is just plain wrong in my opinion!

They want GPs to take the pressure off hospital A&E departments, with no attention at all given to the funding problems they already have and now they want to kick GPs in the teeth with more bureaucracy and humiliation?!

IMHO Jeremy Hunt should have stayed as Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport!

We need someone with a medical background at the very least, not someone obviously more intent on the political power ladder! stevmk2
Couldn't agree more, and bad as cancer is many people are living with debilitating things that can fairly easily be corrected lets see some of them targeted for a change.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Not sure that GP's detect cancer do they its usually done by a consultant after biops or scans as was my case.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Not sure that GP's detect cancer do they its usually done by a consultant after biops or scans as was my case.
Good point caricature - hadn't thought of that but I think you're right.

What's occurred to me too is, if this new "league / listing" goes ahead, are we going to see doctors & consultants default to a more positive identification of Cancers just to cover themselves, as some Cancers are, apparently, notoriously difficult to diagnose?

That could cause far more problems and costs would spiral out of control in my opinion.

I'd be interested in a more informed opinion. stevmk2
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Far far too many horror stories all around the country for them not to be true, just wish we could all live near pats as her service seems pretty good !
Well Julie, like everyone else I can only speak as I find, but in our county things are far from perfect.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
You are correct.
A GP may 'suspect' cancer going by your signs and symptoms and then will refer for for investigations i.e blood tests, scans etc.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
You are correct.
A GP may 'suspect' cancer going by your signs and symptoms and then will refer for for investigations i.e blood tests, scans etc.
I think that is where maybe the scare stories of not detecting cancers come from,there might be symptoms signs that may need further investigation which might not get referred up the ladder.

Page 11 of 25 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top