Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 12:27 PM

Re: Vegetarianiasm

Well Jeana, I respect your views and the lifestyle you want to lead. I don't fully agree with it. As I said in earlier posts, I help to raise and butcher rare breed pigs. They are kept to as high a standard as practically possible and produce pork far superior to the factory produced stuff that supermarkets sell. I totally condemn the ill treatment of farm animals and I'm selective in what and where I buy meat.

I believe that we are essentially omnivores and I have no intention of changing. I am comfortable with my views but I'm not out try to convert anyone.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Not for Me,I love My bacon n eggs and the occasional medium rare cooked steak..yummy!...My eldest Daughter and Her Family became veggies a few Years ago,now She's complaining about the weight She's put on as She has always been very slim...I said no wonder as Their diet consists mainly of Pasta/sauces/rice/chips/potatoes/home baked bread,cakes scones etc'...norra lorra vegetables/fruit there :~)...But of course,what do I know,I'm just Her Mum,a fit healthy 72yr old!!......
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by aquablue ->
Not for Me,I love My bacon n eggs and the occasional medium rare cooked steak..yummy!...My eldest Daughter and Her Family became veggies a few Years ago,now She's complaining about the weight She's put on as She has always been very slim...I said no wonder as Their diet consists mainly of Pasta/sauces/rice/chips/potatoes/home baked bread,cakes scones etc'...norra lorra vegetables/fruit there :~)...But of course,what do I know,I'm just Her Mum,a fit healthy 72yr old!!......
May, that made me giggle

Yes, I'm a bacon and egg girl too
Jeana
Oregon, USA
Jeana is female 

01-11-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I help to raise and butcher rare breed pigs. They are kept to as high a standard as practically possible and produce pork far superior to the factory produced stuff that supermarkets sell. I totally condemn the ill treatment of farm animals and I'm selective in what and where I buy meat.
Grumblewagon, thanks for your comment, it was informative. I just want to note that I have respect for people who are informed, as you describe, and who make conscious, relatively positive choices on the subject of animal farming and animal treatment and meat quality. The people it's hard to respect are those who tout boldly that they don't like anyone who would treat an animal cruelly... BUT who consume the basic supermarket products that come from animals and (as one of them recently told me) "don't want to think about" where the meat comes from or how it got there. Basically that's a hypocritical attitude on their part.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 06:58 PM

Hi Jeana

My reasons for wanting to give up meat are very much the same as yours. I think modern farming methods are pretty awful - I cannot watch documentaries on the subject because I just can't sleep for days and when I do I wake up thinking about the creatures.

Certainly I think certain dishes have strong associations - here in the UK, not sure you'd make it in the US, we have shepherds pie simply minced beef with mashed potato topping, to be honest it hardly resembles meat - but that dish takes me right back to childhood.

I haven't eaten meat for a couple of weeks now and saved a fortune on my shopping bill and have taught myself some really good veggie dishes. Basically throw it all in, stir it around and plonk mashed potato on top, yummy!

I recall someone famous saying "civilisation can only be measured by how well they treat their animals" in this country we treat them badly.

I can drive to work in the morning and watch the livestock trailers and think to myself "no thank you - not in my name".

Originally Posted by Jeana ->
For the 2nd time in my life, I became a vegetarian. This as of about 5 months ago. It is for ethical and health reasons. I do eat seafood on occasion.

I barely ate meat anyway, since my divorce, because my budget doesn't allow the expense. However, after watching a film titled 'Forks Over Knives', I finally went back to my old ethical reasons for not eating meat. I guess I'm back to being true to myself (someone I lost when I was married and the sole cook for a meat & potatoes guy.)

If you are indulging in meat it may be for many reasons. Every so often something made with meat just sounds really good to me, but when I give it more thought I realize that there's something else associated with why it sounds good: Maybe certain dishes are comforting because we grew up smelling and eating them. Maybe it's really other flavors (such as a sauce), not the meat, that sounds good (I used to love Sloppy Joes, for example).

I think some people also have a hard time with vegetarianism because they live together with someone who eats meat, so it's around at meals, or they have close friends who cook, or order, meat dishes.

I really don't miss meat anymore. Recently I tried something that had a very small bit of turkey in it and I could not take more than a few bites, and threw it away. It didn't even taste good, even though it was of good quality. The actual flavor of meat is simply a turn-off for me now. Also, I know how badly America's factory farms treat animals. On a spiritual level, it's important to me not to have that on my shoulders anymore. We've been brainwashed all of our lives to think we need to eat meat. I feel so much better now that I'm not supporting people who are okay with the torture of animals, and not supporting them financially. It's a feeling that I want to keep.

I believe that how we treat animals, and the level of empathy we have for them, is a sign of who we are at our core...or who we are not.

Just keep trying to stay away from meat and it will become a habit NOT to eat it, and eventually it won't taste good anymore. I commend you for trying!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 10:37 PM

Rare for me thanks. Knock off the horns and hooves, wipe its arse and stick it on a plate.

Yum!
Ivy
CHI,LN
Ivy is female  Ivy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 01:04 PM

even most of the time are vegetables but sometimes still wanting meat.
LovelyMeerkat
Lancashire
LovelyMeerkat is female  LovelyMeerkat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 12:32 PM

I haven't eaten meat for years. Last time was when I had a meat kebab that made me feel sick. I never ate fish either until I was in hospital in 1994 and was frowned upon for not eating enough protein. Must admit that I do like fish, but do enjoy eating vegetarian meals as much as I can.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 01:20 PM

I eat a great variety of everything apart from beef. I can however eat it minced in dishes like lasagne or spag bol. I can't eat a beef stew or a steak. Lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, some kinds of offal and lots of seafood and fruit and veg are on the menu here. I could never be a vegetarian.
I do however make lots of soup that don't contain any meat.
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 11:44 PM

I have been vegetarian for 20 years. I used to work at an animal sanctuary and couldn't reconcile working for animals with eating them. Also animals are living creatures and as such have souls and by eating them I am not only impeding their path to Heaven but also mine as I have imbibed their soul and am therefore impure. This is a Hindu belief. I am neither Hindu nor religious but it makes sense to me.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top