Join for free
Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Re: Where is everyone from

Originally Posted by Uff ->
I had or have relatives in Darley Dale and we lived near Ashbourne, Hales Green, before moving up here.

All of our family still live in Derbyshire and my family have lived around Matlock, Darley Dale, Wash Green etc going back generations.
It's a small world as they say Uff
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 02:48 PM

living in belfast northern ireland
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It's a small world as they say Uff
Not half Meg. We were up in the Highland 2 weeks ago and got chatting to a couple who had a holiday house in the village that we've been visiting for 20years.

He asked where we were from originally. My husband told him the town where he was born and brought up. It turns out he was from the same town and the same age as my husbands brother who, it turned out, knew him.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Another Derbyshire girl here. I was brought up in Baslow, our house was on the bottom of the bridge leading to the path into Chatsworth park. I went to school in Bakewell, lived at Chatsworth for 13 years after my first marriage. Later moved to Linacre Woods (Chesterfield), then to Kenya for a couple of years, now in Spain for the last 13 years and I don't think we would ever willingly move from here.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Oh my did you really clumsy? I know every inch of that area. Beautiful. Lucky you. I love Bakewell. Wish I had a pound for every time we went there. A bit busy on Monday market day isn't it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Another Derbyshire girl here. I was brought up in Baslow, our house was on the bottom of the bridge leading to the path into Chatsworth park. I went to school in Bakewell, lived at Chatsworth for 13 years after my first marriage. Later moved to Linacre Woods (Chesterfield), then to Kenya for a couple of years, now in Spain for the last 13 years and I don't think we would ever willingly move from here.
Loretta my Mother's twin sister lived in Baslow.

Originally Posted by Uff ->
Oh my did you really clumsy? I know every inch of that area. Beautiful. Lucky you. I love Bakewell. Wish I had a pound for every time we went there. A bit busy on Monday market day isn't it?
Bakewell is lovely Uff, I understand the Cattle market has moved to outside the town. My brother still lives near Bakewell and my sister in Darley with lots of other relations around.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 02:10 PM

How interesting that your mother's twin lived in Baslow Meg, do you know which bit? We lived at Nether End, virtually on the bridge you cross to go along the lane to Chatsworth Park. My mother lived there for over 80 years. In my younger days I worked in the office of the NFU in Matlock and also in the offices of Firth Derihon. I still have friends and acquaintances in the area. As for Bakewell I think they have spoilt it with the very expensive houses/apartments by the river and the completely ridiculous price of a small Bakewell pudding ! Normal market days were fine Uff, bank holiday ones a nightmare for all us locals. If we could get out chances were we couldn't get back thanks to the, sometimes, 8 mile traffic jams in all directions. My sister still lives in the area, at Sheldon, do you know it? Blink your eyes and you've missed it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

17-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
How interesting that your mother's twin lived in Baslow Meg, do you know which bit? We lived at Nether End, virtually on the bridge you cross to go along the lane to Chatsworth Park. My mother lived there for over 80 years. In my younger days I worked in the office of the NFU in Matlock and also in the offices of Firth Derihon. I still have friends and acquaintances in the area. As for Bakewell I think they have spoilt it with the very expensive houses/apartments by the river and the completely ridiculous price of a small Bakewell pudding ! Normal market days were fine Uff, bank holiday ones a nightmare for all us locals. If we could get out chances were we couldn't get back thanks to the, sometimes, 8 mile traffic jams in all directions. My sister still lives in the area, at Sheldon, do you know it? Blink your eyes and you've missed it.
Hi Loretta I can only remember going to that Aunt's house once when I was about 6, it was near a river and Willow trees. She has been dead for many years.
My mother died when I was a baby and I went to stay near Ashbourne till I was old enough to go to school. Dad remarried and we didn't really see my aunt after that.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Hi ..... I'm another Yorkshire lass, born and brought up in Leeds but now happily living on the East Yorkshire coast.
pattyb
New Member!
Bristol
pattyb is female 

19-06-2013, 07:14 PM

thank you Twizard for the welcome

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top