Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Nov 5, the final blast

No not fireworks,but a great day watching seabirds and probably the last time this year for a Seawatch.

With a strong Northerly blow a few of us gathered at the seahide in the hope of some action we were not disappointed as it was obvious Little Auks were on the move. These High Arctic relatives of Puffins can pass in surprisingly large numbers in strong gales but usually disappear after the winds drop.

The size of Starlings they wizz by at high speed heading back North.

Photo by one of us yesterday.

One i took from a harbour swimming underwater.

This buoy is a nautical mile out to sea and that is the distance most of our observations are made it takes years to become familiar with the different characteristics of the species for Identification.

A few unusual birds on the sea included Female Pochard,

Goosander.

And Great-crested grebe.

Photos are from my library of bird images, as it would be impossible to take these at the distance we were viewing.

As the day wore on more and more species were added to the total, the highlight being a fly-by Grey Phalarope, rare visitor.

Photo by a Kelling birder.

With the light going and the moon rising as the causeway cleared we headed home cold but happy, but a final surprise was in store with a Snow Bunting fresh in on the prom and grabbing a quick feed before going to roost on the wetland.

The Island.

Snow Bunting.

So thats it for the year, unless we have a last hurrah, i will miss the company and banter we have at this time of year, a possible trip to Mersehead maybe later this month. Seriously missing my camera so probably back to drawing in the next few months. I wont miss the pain i suffer from these long days out, but are still worth suffering to see these great natural history moments.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Re: Nov 5, the final blast

Wonderful photos as usual Nom.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 09:55 AM

Nom your bird photos throughout this year have been wonderful. I admit I was fairly ignorant of being able to name anything but our common garden birds ..... now I am able to recognise a few water birds too .... so a big thank you from me!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Yes I have problems with the names too
Truly wonderful pictures
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 01:14 PM

Brilliant, Nom, thank you !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 05:06 PM

Lovely photographs Nom some birds there I haven't seen before.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Thank you for sharing your photographs Nom. It's always a joy to see what nature has bestowed on us, and particularly nice when viewed through the eyes of an enthusiast.
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 07:31 PM

You really do take some good photos Nom
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 06:44 AM

Thanks everyone, kind of you all to comment, now in hibernation mode as the cold hammers me these days.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Great shots, Nom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top