Join for free
allottment
warwickshire
allottment is female  allottment has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2016, 05:42 PM

Pernicious anaemia

Does anyone suffer from pernicious anaemia I have just been diagnosed with this and have got to to have vitamin b12 injections has anyone had these and do they work any information would be appreciated.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Re: Pernicious anaemia

My granddad had this back in the 70s 80s it sounds like the treatment is the same now as then. He lived a long happy life got to know several of the local surgery nurses as he was a regular visitor for his injection.

Only problem he had was if the injection was due when he was going away he could get very tired it was very important to time holidays etc so he had his injection prior to going away.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by allottment ->
Does anyone suffer from pernicious anaemia I have just been diagnosed with this and have got to to have vitamin b12 injections has anyone had these and do they work any information would be appreciated.
Don't know about Pernicious but was a year ago found to be suffering with a b12 deficiency just given tablets for it.

Funnily enough will be going tomorrow for my 6 monthly blood test see if they worked.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2016, 10:29 PM

Yes allottment, l suffer with it! I think it must be hereditary as l vaguely remember my mother mentioning it many years ago that it was in her family.
I was only diagnosed, by chance, about ten years ago. I went to the doctors about pain in my ankles. I was prescribed painkillers but they still hurt if anything touched them. I couldn't bear the duvet or my trousers touching them, it hurt! By chance, l saw another doctor and she said it sounded like nerve pain and arranged for a blood test for vitamin B12 deficiency. It showed that my vitamin B12 levels were very low and l immediately had an intensive course of vitamin B12 injections. I now have them every 12 weeks.
I wouldn't mind but l eat lots of red meat but it seems l wasn't absorbing the B12 vitamin.
We are lucky to live in this day and age as years ago it was a fatal ailment!!
l hope you go on Ok! You get used to the injections!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 12:23 AM

Time was - before the war, I believe - that the best, or perhaps only, treatment for pernicious anaemia was to eat large quantities of raw liver.

Yuk! I'll bet that many sufferers are glad that much preferable means of treatment have been developed.
allottment
warwickshire
allottment is female  allottment has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 08:19 PM

Thanks for your reply did you feel tired and lacking energy at times I have no pains but feel worn out do you feel the injections work well.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by allottment ->
Thanks for your reply did you feel tired and lacking energy at times I have no pains but feel worn out do you feel the injections work well.
Yes, l used to feel very tired. I usually know when my next injection is due as l start to flag!
The injections are just a way of life now!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top