Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 05:32 PM

Re: I am, Cargomaster!

Cant wait to see your picky thread when you get home Fruitcake
You will have a fantastic time im sure !
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Lots of places in Yorkshire Fruitcake where will you be based?
Two nights just outside Tadcster, but we are already booked to see my big bruvver who lives just outside York, and a family friend who lives on the ourskirts of Leeds. We probably won't have much time for anything else, but I used to live in Doncaster, and have had holidays and minibreaks around the county a plenty, so I don't think I will be missing too much this time round.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The Giants Causeway is a natural phenomenon worth seein if you are in the North.
The Causeway is how the whole idea started. I've wanted to go ever since I first heard about it as a kid. It was on a jig-saw puzzle I won at junior school and I was always fascinated by the place.
We had a mini-break in the Wicklow Mountains a couple of year ago, including a day out in Dublin, and absolutely loved it. The countryside was beautiful and the locals were se very friendly that we wanted to go back and spend longer this time round.

Since the Ireland part of the trip ends nearest to Scotland, it made sense to take the shortest route back to the mainland from there, especially as my Aunty/MiL hates boats.

The added advantage by taking that route meant that we could stop of at a couple of other places on the way back.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 08:36 AM

Don't forget that you do not have to pay to see the causeway. The NT do charge to use the visiters centre, but you can just park in the car park and walk down ( or bus -£1) without going through the visitors centre entrance

There is much of a hoohah about the NT ripping tourists off over this

If you are driving the coastal route from the causeway to Ballycastle, just as you come out of Ballintoy ( where the carrick a rede rope bridge is) there's a car park ar the top of the hill. Stop there and you can see down on to the rope bridge ( your inlaws won't be able to make it down to see it from its own car park ) plus you can see for miles if it's a clear day. Ballintoy harbour is well worth a stop as well. You will get some really dramatic photos there if the surf is up and it's flat so the scooters will be fine. There's a tea room there as well. It gets very busy as it's the setting of the Iron Islands in Game of Thrones

Dunluce castle is very photogenic at sunset or sunrise.

Bushmils distilary isn't any good for the mobile impaired as you have to walk along gantrys. But there is a visitors centre they can sit in and try a nip or 3 whilst the able bodied do the tour.

And don't forget the photo opportunity at The Dark Hedges. It's also very busy with coach tours. But early morning before the coached get up from Belast usually see it clear
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Don't forget that you do not have to pay to see the causeway. The NT do charge to use the visiters centre, but you can just park in the car park and walk down ( or bus -£1) without going through the visitors centre entrance

There is much of a hoohah about the NT ripping tourists off over this

If you are driving the coastal route from the causeway to Ballycastle, just as you come out of Ballintoy ( where the carrick a rede rope bridge is) there's a car park ar the top of the hill. Stop there and you can see down on to the rope bridge ( your inlaws won't be able to make it down to see it from its own car park ) plus you can see for miles if it's a clear day. Ballintoy harbour is well worth a stop as well. You will get some really dramatic photos there if the surf is up and it's flat so the scooters will be fine. There's a tea room there as well. It gets very busy as it's the setting of the Iron Islands in Game of Thrones

Dunluce castle is very photogenic at sunset or sunrise.

Bushmils distilary isn't any good for the mobile impaired as you have to walk along gantrys. But there is a visitors centre they can sit in and try a nip or 3 whilst the able bodied do the tour.

And don't forget the photo opportunity at The Dark Hedges. It's also very busy with coach tours. But early morning before the coached get up from Belast usually see it clear
Thanks for that. It's very useful. I've copied and pasted the whole of your post into our itinerary.

We like train rides as well so are planning to do the Bushmills Railway amongst others.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 05:04 PM

It's a shame you are bringing the Beast as the train from Londonderry/Derry to coleraine is meant to be one of the most beautiful routes in the U.K.

Still the coastal road route is lovely. There's a very old church at belladonna then on to Milligans point ( good spot for a coffee or lunch looking over to Donegal) Head on for downhill and just at the entrance to the beach on the opposite side of the road there's a wee lane going up the mountain. Go up that and drive back on yourself iykwim and there's a fantastic viewing point. Really beautiful. Go back to downhill then head for coleraine and you have mussenden temple and gardens to visit. Castle rock is also on the road there, the back drop of our notorious murderer Colin Howell played by James Nesbit in The Secret
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

04-09-2017, 09:59 AM

Missy, thank you again for the additional information. It is very much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top