Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 07:09 AM

Re: Is Tourism Killing Venice?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Some more 'eye watering tales'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...r-coffees.html

Blimey €85 for four coffees ...I think I would have refused to pay it .....nah on second thoughts i would have paid reluctantly...not keen on the thought of an Italian jail

One good thing I discovered Aperol spritz in Venice....very nice
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 07:46 AM

They can stuff their soggy city if I want to see it I can just go and look at a Canaletto in the National gallery .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
One good thing I discovered Aperol spritz in Venice....very nice
Oh yes !!

It became my general drink of choice many years ago after seeing an Italian family celebrating in the restaurant we were eating at on the Grand Canal. It looked great, we asked the waiter what it was, he brought over the bottle, we ordered a couple, and never looked back.

The Aperol Spritz craze spread across Italy pretty fast and then hit the UK and much of modern Europe. Just about any pub or bar in the UK now serves Aperol Spritzes.

In the summer, it's my No 1 choice.

If you love them too you should also try a Sicilian Spritz.

This is more or less the same thing but uses Limoncello instead of Aperol and some places also add a measur of gin to boot. Zesty and fresh it's just as nice.

If you have a local Carluccio's italian restaurant near you (good food BTW) then you can get one there. The spritzes are usually on offer, 2 for a tenner.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Oh yes !!

It became my general drink of choice many years ago after seeing an Italian family celebrating in the restaurant we were eating at on the Grand Canal. It looked great, we asked the waiter what it was, he brought over the bottle, we ordered a couple, and never looked back.

The Aperol Spritz craze spread across Italy pretty fast and then hit the UK and much of modern Europe. Just about any pub or bar in the UK now serves Aperol Spritzes.

In the summer, it's my No 1 choice.

If you love them too you should also try a Sicilian Spritz.

This is more or less the same thing but uses Limoncello instead of Aperol and some places also add a measur of gin to boot. Zesty and fresh it's just as nice.

If you have a local Carluccio's italian restaurant near you (good food BTW) then you can get one there. The spritzes are usually on offer, 2 for a tenner.
Sicilian Spritz sounds lovely.....Carluccios has closed down in Ilkley but there is one in Leeds I will definitely try one next rime I'm there ....thanks for the recomendation Realist.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Over-tourism: a global issue

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/08..._EM_170819_WK3

The controversy surrounding large cruise ships isn’t unique to Venice. They have also been the subject of debate in popular destinations including Amsterdam, Barcelona, Dubrovnik and Marseille.

Justin Francis, CEO of green tour operator, Responsible Travel, told us: ‘Unesco sites are vulnerable and have limited capacity for tourists.

‘In these places, the high-volume, low-value cruise ships are contributing to the problems they’re facing.

‘Smaller vessels have a number of advantages, including that they allow tourists to visit smaller areas that are inaccessible to larger ships. However, too many small ships can also have negative impacts.’
Which are currently running a survey:

Tell us what you think…

Should cruise ships be banned from Unesco World Heritage Sites?

• Yes, all cruise ships should be banned from Unesco World Heritage Sites 66%
  • Only ships over a certain size limit should be banned 31%
  • No, tourist vessels of any size should be free to visit wherever they want 3%
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Omah's Article
In these places, the high-volume, low-value cruise ships are contributing to the problems they’re facing.
You see this is a bot of a sleight of hand comment TBH.

Low value?

I don't think so.

Do you really think that the Barcelona, Dubrovnik or Venice governments/authorities would have spent $billions purpose building large berthing areas specifically for cruise ships????

I fear the article there is having you on.

Understand that some years ago, the beautiful city of Dubrovnik only had room for a couple of cruise ships and one of those would have to be moored in the bay outside the city walls. They since created a completely new cruise terminal which can hold 4 to 5 cruise ships, sited about a 15 min bus ride from the city. That cost many $millions to devlelop. It has a terminal for passengers and lounge/cafe area for cruise staff.

Then look at Venice. It's government/authories too have in very recent years, invested massively in cruising tourism. They have also built massive new berths specifically for cruise ships. They can hold 5 to 6 ships at any one time I believe.

So let's put this in perspective.

Cruise ships are not "low value" in any sense. The authorities are raking in $millions from cruise ship berthing fees which are for such places huge. Berthing fees for a day in Venice (depends on size of ship) can be maybe £80,000
or more. That's for each ship, every day, 365 days a year. Do the math.

The many £1000s of passengers that visit typically spend money on food and drink in the cities thus supporting the many restaurants and bars. They also buy clothes, shoes, souvenirs and other items from shops. All money going into local shops and businesses.

So when we get down to it, who is it really that cruise ships are "low value" for?

I submit that it is only for the local people who don't have any business that serves tourism.

And don't get me wrong I have strong sympathy with those people. There is a need to preserve properly these beautiful places and to properly manage the levels of visitors.

The bigger problem is that the $billions being made by local authorities and maritime businesses from cruiseing is not being passed down the food change to the local people.

I'm guessing the fat cats just keep the money for themselves instead of investing most of it back into teh communitiesand infrastructure. Hence your average local resident sees crusing and other tourism as a negative thing because they aren't getting a share of pie.

But isn't that descriptive of gloabism everywhere on the planet at present? The elite and large conglomerates are busily pillaging and raping everything for profit regardless of anyone else's concerns. They have acquired 99% of the world's wealth and left the rest of us with 1%.

So there's more going on here and demonising cruise ships is sadly a bit of a distraction from the truth.

Cruise shipping CAN be managed, the number of ships per day or week or year structured so as not to cause negative impacts. That doesn't happen because the cruising industry is actually very HIGH value to local authorities.

Therefore the Venetians and others need to direct their angst and frustrations towards their own authorities rather than to cruise lines and tourists. They need to demand a share of the pie in the form of tax reliefs or better services and so on.

As a final note it should be noted that the farcical Which? survey there is deliberately offering limited choices in order to manipulate the results.

It's patently clear to anyone with any degree of common sense that authorites simply need to properly manage the levels and numbers of cruise ships arriving. That sensible option however is not on Which?'s survey is it !!

I long since stopped reading Which? magazine. Its reviews are totally biased and not independent imho. You get far better advice from simply reading testimonies posted all over the internet. I would never ever now buy anything on the recommendation of Which?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:31 PM

Coronavirus: Venice canals clearer after lockdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...after-lockdown
Residents of Venice are noticing a vast improvement in the quality of the famous canals that run through the city, which are running clear for the first time in years, and fish can even be seen in the usually murky waters.

The coronavirus lockdown has left Venice streets empty, and a drastic drop in water traffic means sediment in the canals has been able to settle.
That's good news .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-04-2021, 03:05 PM

Venice bans cruise ships from historic centre

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56592109

Italian authorities have approved a ban on cruise ships entering the historic centre of Venice. The country's culture minister said on Wednesday that the decision came in response to a request from UN cultural body Unesco. Large ships will now have to dock at the city's industrial port until a permanent solution is found.

Critics argue the ships cause pollution and erode the foundations of the city, which suffers from regular flooding.

On Wednesday, Italian ministers agreed that large cruise and container ships would no longer be able to enter the city's Giudecca canal, which leads to the historic St Mark's Square. Culture Minister Dario Franceschini hailed the move, made in response to a request from UN cultural body Unesco, as "a correct decision, awaited for years".

Cruise ships are currently unable to enter Venice due to coronavirus restrictions but their absence since has been credited with improving water quality in the lagoons.

Previous initiatives to stop cruise ship traffic have also failed. In 2013, the government banned ships weighing more than 96,000 tonnes from the Giudecca canal, but the legislation was later overturned.

Other plans to divert cruise ships from the centre of Venice were announced in 2017 but were never fully implemented.
Probably the best non-COVID news this year so far .....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Venice bans cruise ships from historic centre
About bloody time if you ask me. I've seen photos taken from the landward side of St Marks of cruise ships moored up that tower OVER the top of the cathedral.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 09:22 PM

I have read that the only residents left in Venice are the ones that can't afford to leave?
All the rest are business owners that live elsewhere !!

.Donkeyman! 👎👎

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top