Join for free
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 07:14 PM

The book of Joy

I’m currently reading a really challenging book about joy by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

The main theme in the first 60 pages is all about Compassion.
A very thought provoking book.

No dark fate determines the future. We do. Each day and each moment, we are able to create and re-create our lives and the very quality of human life on our planet. This is the power we wield.
Lasting happiness cannot be found in the pursuit of any goal or achievement. It does not reside in fortune or fame. It resides only in the human mind and heart, and it is here that we hope you will find it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	79BA63DD-3C1C-48BD-B973-3F47A930F2DF.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	14761

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 08:24 PM

Re: The book of Joy

It's an excellent read, Minx. You'll enjoy it cover to cover.

I've long said that happiness is a choice, even in the worst of times. There are worthwhile lessons here.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 05:52 AM

"No dark fate determines the future. We do. Each day and each moment, we are able to create and re-create our lives and the very quality of human life on our planet. This is the power we wield."

Individually some stuff we've got no control over.I would have thought Tutu of SA would have known that.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
"No dark fate determines the future. We do. Each day and each moment, we are able to create and re-create our lives and the very quality of human life on our planet. This is the power we wield."

Individually some stuff we've got no control over.I would have thought Tutu of SA would have known that.
In hindsight, I should not have quoted those lines. Should not be read in isolation
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:12 PM

I've got a feeling I have that book myself somewhere, Minx.
I'm often buying books then don't have time to read them. I've got loads of unread books still to get through.

I hope you enjoy it.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

01-03-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've got a feeling I have that book myself somewhere, Minx.
I'm often buying books then don't have time to read them. I've got loads of unread books still to get through.

I hope you enjoy it.
It’s very challenging and insightful Mups. Let’s hope you have it, then we can discuss the finer points.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top