Join for free
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 10:38 PM

Covid 19 - Really, Nicola?

Although a "remainer" as far as the Scottish IndyRef was concerned, I have had the utmost admiration with the way our First Minister has been conducting herself thus far.

However ......

My brother-in-law (who lives five minutes away) is celebrating a special birthday this week and I had hoped to have my sister and him for dinner on Friday evening. Following Tuesday's restrictions, they will be unable to come to my house but I will be able to book a table four 4 at a nearby restaurant with many other people present.

As I said in my title - really, Nicola?

It has been suggested, in the past, that some of her decisions
have been made for the sake of it, and not with the population in mind, and I am now wondering if this is the case?
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 11:24 PM

Re: Covid 19 - Really, Nicola?

The mind boggles, you would think having a meal with four of you in your home would be safer than the same four people going to a restaurant among other diners and waiting staff.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 01:20 AM

Exactly, Paula. My worry is that future decisions taken are based on economy rather than health.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 07:45 AM

I was invited to a friends home this Friday for a farewell meal for her 18 year old daughter who is off to university Saturday morning . I've known her since she was born . There would have been 6 adults from 3 different families ( 2 babies in bed and 2 young teenagers in their rooms .) I've declined because I am not in their bubbles .

But we could have booked a table for 6 in a restaurant . It is confusing though
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 08:52 AM

Hi

Some rules do not make sense.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 09:12 AM

The mind boggles, you would think having a meal with four of you in your home would be safer than the same four people going to a restaurant among other diners and waiting staff.
Not at all, restaurants take measure to ensure social distancing and can be closed down if they don't.
In houses people are more likely to be liberal when observing the social distancing rules and sanitising measures.

I guess it will take a few more deaths for people to realise that C19 could wipe out whole swathes of the older population if measures to try to prevent its spread are not taken but maybe that doesn't matter to some.

I am happy to stick to the rules if it means we can prevent some from death and long term illness until a medical answer to the problem is found.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland

24-09-2020, 10:51 AM

Not at all, restaurants take measure to ensure social distancing and can be closed down if they don't.

That is certainly the rationale that was supposed to be behind the decision on Tuesday, Meg. However, when further questioned -

[I]The First Minister said it was “likely” that she would have closed down such venues rather than just imposing a 10pm curfew, which comes into force on Friday. In a stark warning to Boris Johnson, she said Scotland risked being “hamstrung” in its fight against coronavirus as it did not have the financial powers to back up public health decisions.[/I

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am concerned that decisions are now being made on an economic basis.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 10:51 AM

I wonder if now, instead of giving money off for meals in restaurants, this is to encourage people to eat out and pay themselves?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top