Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 10:14 AM

Covid-19: UK volunteers could be given virus to test vaccine

Covid-19: UK volunteers could be given virus to test vaccine

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54275096

The UK could be the first country in the world to carry out Covid "challenge trials" - where healthy volunteers are deliberately infected with coronavirus to test possible vaccines.

It is understood the studies - first reported by the Financial Times - would be conducted in London.

The UK government said it was holding discussions about developing a vaccine through such "human challenge studies".

No contracts have yet been signed, the BBC understands.

Alastair Fraser-Urquhart, an 18-year old university student, is planning on volunteering for the trial if it is given the green light to go ahead. He helps run the advocacy group, 1Day Sooner.

He told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: "I think the challenge trial has the potential to save thousands of lives and really bring the world out of the pandemic sooner. It is just something that made instant sense to me."

Speaking on the same programme, Prof Peter Horby of Oxford University, said he thought the trial was a good idea that had the real potential to advance science and get a better understanding of the disease.

He said: "We now know the risk in a healthy young adult with no underlying conditions is extremely low.

"We suspected this before, but we really did not have the strength of evidence to go forward with challenging people with the virus - but now I think there is clear data.

"The second thing that has changed is there are now some treatments that have been shown to have a benefit, so in the likely event that a a challenged person does becomes unwell, there are drugs that can be given very early to help control the disease."
It seems risky to me .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 10:40 AM

Re: Covid-19: UK volunteers could be given virus to test vaccine

I thought they were already doing this.

Anyone who volunteers must be either desperate for money or not thinking of the consequences of a bad reaction or side effect.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 10:42 AM

Any mistakes could have unknown consequences. Very courageous to voluntarily be a 'guinea pig'.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Any mistakes could have unknown consequences. Very courageous to voluntarily be a 'guinea pig'.
Alastair Fraser-Urquhart, an 18-year old university student, is planning on volunteering for the trial if it is given the green light to go ahead.
Students will do anything for beer money .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:52 AM

Having said that though, think about all the brave young lads that went to both world wars, knowing that it was likely to be a one way trip......We shouldn't mock them really, whatever their reasons, they are taking one for mankind!...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 01:41 PM

Challenge trials are quite normal and many research scientist going back to Edward Jenner infected patients to test cures.

Some members may remember The Common Cold Unit near Salisbury where people were infected with various strains of the common cold to see if a cure or vaccine could be found.
They used to pay the volunteers and I met someone people who went there for their summer holidays .

This challenge trial is no different other than the virus being more dangerous.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

24-09-2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Some members may remember The Common Cold Unit near Salisbury where people were infected with various strains of the common cold to see if a cure or vaccine could be found.
They used to pay the volunteers and I met someone people who went there for their summer holidays .
I remember seeing a (terrible) film called "Man in the Moon" starring Kenneth More and (the lovely) Shirley Anne Field, which featured the CCU, which, at that time, I thought was a joke. Kenneth More was, allegedly, immune to (almost) everything and was paid to sleep in a bed in a field:

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 02:32 PM

Hi

Without volunteers to test it, we would have no vaccine.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top