Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 05:14 PM

Covid-19 virus 'survives on some surfaces for 28 days'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54500673

The virus responsible for Covid-19 can remain infectious on surfaces such as banknotes, phone screens and stainless steel for 28 days, researchers say.

The findings from Australia's national science agency suggest SARS-Cov-2 can survive for far longer on surfaces than previously thought.

The latest research from Australian agency CSIRO found the virus was "extremely robust," surviving for 28 days on smooth surfaces - such as glass found on mobile phone screens and both plastic and paper banknotes - at 20C (68F), which is about room temperature.

In comparison, the flu virus can survive in the same circumstances for 17 days.
Well, I sanitize my phone regularly and I don't use cash but sanitizing all my stainless steel fittings/accessories/implements will take a month of Sundays .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 05:11 AM

Re: Covid-19 virus 'survives on some surfaces for 28 days'

On AM this morning was an epidemiologist who said that this was a reason for regular cleaning of surfaces but an unlikely mode of transmission because most transmission is via droplets. (S)he said that the vestiges of the virus on these surfaces would only likely infect you if you touched the surface then immediately stuck your finger up your nose.

You can listen (or download) here:

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/adelaid...am/am/12733808
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 05:56 AM

The viral load of such transmission is likely to be extremely small. I'd love to see stats on anyone infected from a phone, food packaging or coins. Washing your hands should mitigate any remote risk. I've made a conscious effort not to rub my eyes if I haven't washed my hands. I always use gloves at the supermarket. You can only do so much without losing your marbles.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
On AM this morning was an epidemiologist who said that this was a reason for regular cleaning of surfaces but an unlikely mode of transmission because most transmission is via droplets. (S)he said that the vestiges of the virus on these surfaces would only likely infect you if you touched the surface then immediately stuck your finger up your nose.

You can listen (or download) here:

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/adelaid...am/am/12733808
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The viral load of such transmission is likely to be extremely small. I'd love to see stats on anyone infected from a phone, food packaging or coins. Washing your hands should mitigate any remote risk. I've made a conscious effort not to rub my eyes if I haven't washed my hands. I always use gloves at the supermarket. You can only do so much without losing your marbles.

Good posts....
We have always been at risk from bacterial infections in the same way.
Gaz55
UK
Gaz55 is male  Gaz55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

Good posts....
We have always been at risk from bacterial infections in the same way.
I ONLY use cash! Covid? Just another way for the banks and government to try and force people to use card payments so they can harvest everyone's details!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 04:24 PM

You can still use cash in shops.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 04:49 PM

Omah says
BBC article says
Covid virus ‘survives for 28 days’ in lab conditions
BBC article says
... "the chance of transmission through inanimate surfaces is very small". He said studies that suggested a significant risk had been designed with "little resemblance to real-life scenarios".
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 04:52 PM

Yes, I did today! No way was I using my card for 85p! I had to give correct money, which meant giving them 5p extra for the charity box.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gaz55 ->
I ONLY use cash! Covid? Just another way for the banks and government to try and force people to use card payments so they can harvest everyone's details!
Yep Gaz, cash for me where ever possible....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Omah says
BBC article says
Covid virus ‘survives for 28 days’ in lab conditions
I didn't say it, I copied and pasted it .....

Obviously, an editor has been at work .....

The findings are from from Australia's national science agency, CSIRO, so blame them for any mistakes, assertions, claims, etc .....

CSIRO scientists publish new research on SARS-COV-2 virus ‘survivability’

https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-re...-survivability

Researchers at CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, have found that SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for COVID-19, can survive for up to 28 days on common surfaces including banknotes, glass – such as that found on mobile phone screens - and stainless steel.

The research, undertaken at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) in Geelong, found that SARS-CoV-2:
  • survived longer at lower temperatures
  • tended to survive longer on non-porous or smooth surfaces such as glass, stainless steel and vinyl, compared to porous complex surfaces such as cotton
  • survived longer on paper banknotes than plastic banknotes.

Results from the study The effect of temperature on persistence of SARS-CoV-2 on common surfaces was published in Virology Journal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top